• Register Today It's free!

"Ticking" sound in roof

chartquist

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
OK this is an odd one... has anyone noticed a ticking sound coming from the roof over the cargo area? It only happens when the Explorer is in the sun. I think what I'm hearing is different rates of expansion/contraction of perhaps the materials in the roof rack, the antenna, or the hatch. I don't think it's a problem, but something I definitely hear from time to time. Or maybe it's all in my head.

Mine does this from time to time with the rear air on, have you checked to see if you turn off the rear air if you still get the ticking?

Mine does this from time to time with the rear air on, have you checked to see if you turn off the rear air if you still get the ticking?

I almost never use the rear air, so it's unrelated in my experience.

Some more info... I was filling up at a gas station today and the car was in bright sunlight today. I could hear the ticking from outside the vehicle. I think it might be the spoiler expanding in the sun and rubbing/grabbing on the rear glass. Either that or the aerodynamic trim caps between the rear glass and the side glass by the 3rd row.

Back