Time to change engine air filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to change engine air filter

Which air filter will perform best for our Explorer?

• K&N Drop in filter

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • OEM filter

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • AEM drop in filter

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

xplo134

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT 2.0 Ecoboost
Hi guys,

I had my preventive maintenance (change oil, replace oil filter, brake parts cleaning, etc) performed yesterday.

Unfortunately, the shops in my country doesn't have any stocks of Ford Explorer air filter thus I'm considering buying online and have it shipped. I tried searching this forum but most discussions are related to CAI thus can't really decide if I should order K&N drop in filter or just the OEM drop in filter type. I know there are numerous discussions from other forums saying K&N drop in filter will only cause damage to turbos in the long run due to filtration/ oil etc so I would like to confirm if this is the case for our Ford Explorers.

Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not stick with the one that came with the vehicle? It was the one that the Ford techs felt was good enough to do the job in the first place.
BTW, I edited you subject title by adding "engine" as there are cabin air filters as well.

With K&N, there is always a possibility of oil getting on a mass air flow sensor and causing issues. Additional air flow won't result in additional power due to torque management on the ECM. Stick with the OEM Motorcraft filter, they are built very well.

Why not stick with the one that came with the vehicle? It was the one that the Ford techs felt was good enough to do the job in the first place.
BTW, I edited you subject title by adding "engine" as there are cabin air filters as well.

Thanks Peter, yeah I'll probably stick with the Ford filter to prevent any issues in the long run.

With K&N, there is always a possibility of oil getting on a mass air flow sensor and causing issues. Additional air flow won't result in additional power due to torque management on the ECM. Stick with the OEM Motorcraft filter, they are built very well.

Thanks, will probably stick with the OEM Motorcraft filter.

I've been running K&N drop in filters for my last four vehicles, going back well over a decade. The only issue I've had was on the first one, because I over oiled it when I cleaned it the first time. I like not having to worry about them for 50k miles, and if you keep your vehicle longer than that, you end up coming out ahead. The MAF is easy to clean with spray cleaner for electronics, in the event of oil getting on it.

I've been running K&N drop in filters for my last four vehicles, going back well over a decade. The only issue I've had was on the first one, because I over oiled it when I cleaned it the first time. I like not having to worry about them for 50k miles, and if you keep your vehicle longer than that, you end up coming out ahead. The MAF is easy to clean with spray cleaner for electronics, in the event of oil getting on it.

Thanks for your inputs Jon... Yeah I'm actually worried with the dirt filtration as my country is very polluted. I've been reading that K&N offers less restriction and will give a better sound + more air. I'm just really concerned if this is really worth it with the way it's filtering dust etc.

Here's how nasty my OEM air filter now:

20170319_134341.jpg

20170319_134352.jpg

I would stick with factory type if you don't have any mods.
How many miles do you have on the filter in your pictures? Note, just because it looks dirty, doesn't mean it is dirty. Yours looks dirty, but it could just be the color of the contaminant making it look dirtier that it really is.

For comparison, I replaced mine @ about 45K miles and it was barely dirty(from a visual inspection). I could have gone another 40K miles before I would possible NEED to change it. In my case, a K&N would require 200k+ miles before it would pay back and at the same time, cause more wear...although, probably not enough for anyone to notice.

I would stick with factory type if you don't have any mods.
How many miles do you have on the filter in your pictures? Note, just because it looks dirty, doesn't mean it is dirty. Yours looks dirty, but it could just be the color of the contaminant making it look dirtier that it really is.

For comparison, I replaced mine @ about 45K miles and it was barely dirty(from a visual inspection). I could have gone another 40K miles before I would possible NEED to change it. In my case, a K&N would require 200k+ miles before it would pay back and at the same time, cause more wear...although, probably not enough for anyone to notice.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I would probably stick with the Motorcraft filter as I don't have any modifications. My Explorer is already running on it's 52k miles. I never replaced the air filter so I think my filter is really dirty.

I just put in an AEM in my recently purchased XLT. It's a dry filter, looked very well made and fit in perfectly. No oiling so no worries about over oiling.

I also installed a K&N dry Cabin Air Filter.

Changing oil and oil filter next. Amsoil is what I've used for the last several years on my family's cars inc. my 2005 Ford Sport Trac 4WD.

I just put in an AEM in my recently purchased XLT. It's a dry filter, looked very well made and fit in perfectly. No oiling so no worries about over oiling.

I also installed a K&N dry Cabin Air Filter.

Changing oil and oil filter next. Amsoil is what I've used for the last several years on my family's cars inc. my 2005 Ford Sport Trac 4WD.

Thanks for sharing Eltee... have you noticed any difference when it comes to throttle response? Engine sound, performance etc while using AEM?

Yeah read good reviews with Amsoil but I don't think it's available here in the Philippines. The only option I have here is motul, liqui moly, and Royal Purple. I chose Liqui moly 5w-30 specific for Ford.

Thanks for sharing Eltee... have you noticed any difference when it comes to throttle response? Engine sound, performance etc while using AEM?

Yeah read good reviews with Amsoil but I don't think it's available here in the Philippines. The only option I have here is motul, liqui moly, and Royal Purple. I chose Liqui moly 5w-30 specific for Ford.

It SEEMS on startup that intake is a little noisier but that could be psychological. Car runs fine but can't tell if there is an improvement in performance. I'll settle for just improved air filtration as I spend a lot of time in the deserts of Nevada.

Back