• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Tensioner

tman1175

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie bauer
I have a 99 EXP w/ 87,000 miles on it, 4.0L SOHC. The engine has been making this cluttering noise for the past 10,000 miles. It sounds like I have a diesel engine. The mechanic said it was the timing chain tensioner. He said I didn't have to do anything until it breaks. If it breaks, is the vehicle inoperable to drive? I really don't want to get stranded somewhere. Any thoughts. Also, I'm not a mechanic. What's the cost to repair?

tman1175 said:
I have a 99 EXP w/ 87,000 miles on it, 4.0L SOHC. The engine has been making this cluttering noise for the past 10,000 miles. It sounds like I have a diesel engine. The mechanic said it was the timing chain tensioner. He said I didn't have to do anything until it breaks. If it breaks, is the vehicle inoperable to drive? I really don't want to get stranded something Any thoughts. Also, I'm not a mechanic. What's the cost to repair?
I have the same problem on my 98 XLT. It is difficult to find someone to give good advice. I hope you have better luck than me

The front tensioner (about 600 bucks) labor and all, is probably where the rattle is coming from. I don't believe the noisey tensioner is going to hurt anything. Just annoying. Mine has been rattling for a long time. There is a thread on this forum with step by step instructions for the tensioner replacement. It's not easy but if you are mechanically inclined, you can do it.

Thanks for your help.

Back