95 Exp Timing Chain Tensioner - replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Exp Timing Chain Tensioner - replace

cbridge

Reaction score
City, State
baltimore, maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
I have a 95 Exp 4.0 v6. I need to change the Timing Chain tensioner and I notice the Haynes manual mentoned I have to drop the Oil pan, which requires me to remove the engine from the vehicle. Is there a way to change the Timing chain Tensioner without removing the engine from the vehicle?? I may as well change the Gears and Chain while I'm at it, but need to know if it could be done with the engine in the vehicle. Any assistance appreciated.

Ignore rqst - Found Answer. Did search on Timing Change

Did search on Timing Chain and found numerous helpful links related to this issue. No response needed. THANKS

Just FYI the famous timing chain tensioner issues were not in the 95 model OHV engine, just in case thats why you are replacing it.

With the 95 OHV just get a new timing set and tensioner. I also recommend a new water pump while you are in there if you are over 100K miles.

How easy is this timing chain replacement for the 95 models? I am thinking of doing it when I change out my water pump and front main seal.

I have 250K miles at the moment and have never changed anything on the front of the motor.

I do have a loud metalic ringing sound coming from the drive belt area. When I take the belt off don't hear it. Also it will come and go, sometimes you can hear the screeching for blocks then other times it is quiet.

I did replace the belt tensioner and pulley, the AC pump is new. So I am thinking the water pump or the fan clutch is going bad. Nothing else I tried to turn on the front end made any noise except the fan and water pump kind of a wheezing sound as I turned it.

My temp gauge does not work even though I have replaced every thing going to the system. Cluster, sensors and the thermostat.

Back