Timing chain tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain tensioner

Jarry

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport trac 05
http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/Jarek23k/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpss6tgu8o5.jpeg.html?filters[user]=144921424&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
image_zpss6tgu8o5.jpeg.html
Hello I'm in a process of a redoing my timing chain everything was going fine until I have started my car ,I did all the chains ,tensioners ,cassettes pulled the engine out,I don't know how to explain it here are the pics of the front timing chain tensioner , this plastic thing with those metal things that makes a pressure on the chain goes over The top and doesn't get back its stuck and doesn't get any pressure and makes my chain skip and make noise ,somehow I can't post any pics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did it,and everything looked fine chain had pressure ,but after I have started the car it started making noise again ,so I had it opened again timing cover and the timing chain tensioner went over like in the second picture shown

Nothing broke ,I got new tensioner last night and looks the same,as my old one in the picture ,looks like chain is making too much pressure for it and can't handle it so the tabs go over the top,idk what to do

Click on the photo you want to copy, double click on the "IMG" box to the right of your photo. It should turn yellow for a second and say "copied". Then return to you post and paste the photo into your thread.

image_zpsy2hzqh9x.jpg

So thats your old one in the picture and the new one did the same thing?

Did you do anything with the front and rear chains and guides? IF so how did you time the engine? Special tool or some other shade tree way?

Did you check the engine for broke pieces of the old guides?

It does look like the crank shaft is rotating and pulling on the tensioner before your jack shaft is rotating. What all did you change?

What direction are you rotating the engine? if you are rotating it by hand?

ok so let me start from the beginning,my car is 05 with 84k 4wd,first thing was valve spring broke passenger side so i got new one i had removed head gasket to check it for a damage but it was all fine had it tested and cleaned ,so i did all my chains and quides,front and back, only balance shaft chain tensioner was broken and jackshaft chain tensioner ,so i ordered whole set from rockauto was around 300,i have removed lower and upper oil pans found few pieces from the broken tensioners, so after i had put everything back together,i have the special tool for timing i have used it and everything was fine/perfect.i did rotate my crankshaft by hand to the right side and everything was fine then,but after i have started my car the noise when you have broken chain guide came back,so again i have removed timing cover and my jackshaft chain tensioner went bad, what happened is what you can see in the picture,its like the chain is making too much pressure,

Might have just got a bad tensioner. I think there is supposed to be a plastic guide on that tensioner and it looks like its missing. It runs along the top above the spring.

Ok, so it seems that you have done everything correct. I'm not sure at this point. When you rotate the engine by hand is it smooth, does it feel like anything is hanging up?

I was thinking valve or missed timing guide piece.

Maybe this will bump you back up for someone else to add input.

ok so i have been doing some work on my car and i have notice thatim not sure about the passenger side cam position because the tool can fit either way just flip it over. the drivers side though has the nub sticking up so that is the right way the tool goes,and i been watching some videos,and nobody flipped it,but for me in order to fit it i have to flip the tool,i have removed the passenger side head before so maybe i have put it back on wrong way,but first cyl is TDC

Back