Wrong timing chain tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrong timing chain tensioner

br3nnan

Reaction score
City, State
alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just got an 03 explorer sport Trac last week and noticed an oil leak dripping onto the downpipe. It's coming from the right rear timing chain tensioner, I figured maybe someone forgot the seal or it's not tight but looking online it looks like they used the left tensioner on the right side. I checked the left side by the thermostat and it's the proper tensioner. Picture attached of passenger side tensioner by the down pipe.

Obviously I will replace it with the proper one and hopefully they have not stripped anything but wondering if it could have done any damage or are they similar. It does rattle on cold start sometimes.

PXL_20230402_003414714.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely a driver side tensioner installed in the passenger rear. Hard to tell from the pic, but make sure the leak isn't coming from above the tensioner.
If so it's a very common valve cover leak from the rear outside corner caused by exhaust manifold heat. BTDT.

That's a great idea that tensioner will work even better in that location

@donalds

Any reason why? Stronger spring? Appears both "plungers" or "pistons" are the same length.

For those that missed it, here's a great sticky from donald s.

I am curious as well why he says that
Both tensioners have same thread similar plunger depth etc maybe the drivers has a longer spring

I like to run manual tensioners myself no hydraulic oil pressure needed and they are cheaper

That's a great idea that tensioner will work even better in that location
Thanks for the replays guys. Is there a reason this one would work better?

Either way it's leaking hah, I'll take a look today see if it it's coming from above though but it was a pretty direct leak when I was under there while running. Ford isn't open today so can't get parts.

It has its own Reservoir and a longer spring
I like the idea of a bit of oil in there even if some drains out
Maybe ill get a junkyard unit and cut it open

It has its own Reservoir and a longer spring
I like the idea of a bit of oil in there even if some drains out
Maybe ill get a junkyard unit and cut it open

Wow man thanks for that. If only it wasn't leaking all over the downpipe and smoking 😂.

Back