• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain tensioner....

stevemya76!yaho

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie B
I have a ratlling noise coming from the top of the engine.
So I went to see a mechanic and he told me that it's a timing chain tensioner, and that Ford has extented the warranty on it (6 years or 72K).
I went to a local ford services and left my car there. Service advisor called me back in few hours and told me that there is nothing wrong with the tensioner, and that the ratlling noise is from mulfunctioning 02sensor. I think this is BS. I then went to another auto station and a different mech told me that the cause of the noise is the tensioner.

Did anybody had their tensioner replaced? What were the symptoms?
What should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steve,

Sounds like the M0012 ONP by Ford to me. Thats the timing tensioner. You also get new O-rings. About $400 if you are past the 72K. I just picked up the kit to do it myself for $50. Check my other thread on Cold Air Starting problem for a 98 Ford X. Get it handled if you are under the 72K for sure. The dealer told me it really doesn't do any damage but I'm not sure I believe him.

mikeh

Is M0012 a tensioner job (the one thats inside the engine). Cause on the receipt they put M0012, but when I went to another mech he told me that timing chain tensioner (one thats inside the engine) was not
replaced.

Ford dealership did change something in my car. The job took them 1.8 hours and they did change two things according to the receipt. One is manifold kit $27 and some engine sensor $12. Total bill was a little over $200.
There was nothing on the receipt with the word TENSIONER.
Should I just go to another dealership??????

Thanks Alot.

I was told it was the cam tensioner?!?
Went to Ford because the shop I bought it from said that Ford had an open campaign on it, but wasn't necessarily fixing it.
Ford (the nice pretty lady :fire: ) told me they would have to diagnose the problem and it if was they might fix it, else I'd have to pay for the diagnosis. I figured I'd leave it because it's only noisy when I first start the truck. Goes away after a lil bit.

Back