timing chain...what would you do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain...what would you do?

schusdad

Reaction score
I just bought a '98 explorer with a 4.0l SOHC engine with 169,000 miles on it and it has a pretty good timing chain rattle when warmed up. Should I just pull the front of the engine and replace the guides and all the tensioners, or should I pull the whole engine and replace all the guides tensioners and chains. I am a mechanic with 25+ years of experience so doing the work isn't an issue. I just don't want to do things I don't need to do as I am not familiar with this engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull it and do it all at the same time.

I would suggest coming over to my house and doing mine first to get the feel for it and then doing your own

I would do the rear and front timing chain guides and tensioners. Do it while the engine is out.

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

If you plan to keep the vehicle for many years, have the tools, time and funds I suggest you replace all of the timing chain related components to get the latest updates and increased reliability. If any of the above are not true then I suggest that you replace only what is broken. My rear guide broke at around 150,000 miles. I was lucky that the chain did not slip and there was no damage to the valves or pistons. See my helpful threads for more info on timing chain related issues.

Back