• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain????

bdkoz

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Has anyone had there timing chain go bad before they got there recall fixed??? If so what were the symptoms?
If you have read my latest few posts yes she still doesnt run, started with check engine light with codes P0300-303 and then died cranks but refuses to spark, have good spark and fuel. Have checked everythign else under the sun we are leaning towards this..........does anyone know a good way to check timeing quickly before I have it towed to ford this weekend

Thanks all all suggestions have helped and lead us this far....I am beginning to love my Mustang more everyday know though....lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the Crank position sensor located to the left of the crank pulley near the timing marks.
They can get dirty or wet and prevent it from starting. Very easy to replace and costs $30 - 60 depending on who has it.
Just an idea since it happened to me.

I have spark and after research if we have spark crank sensor is fine........as far as we know

That is correct if you have spark.
I guess I should have asked that first.
They are a pain to change.
What part of IN are you in?

UMMM, sorry to get off the subject but what recall?????

97 and 98 explorers and mountaineers with 4.0 SOHC engine are covered for 7 yrs 100,000 for front chain guide assembly...if you have it everyone knows that noise...as I first described it and others have to it sounds like the tick of a diesal truck when it first starts up

Back