• Register Today It's free!

timing chain?

tman1175

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie bauer
I have a 99 4.0L SOHC w/75,000 on it. The engine has been making this cluttering sound. Sounds like a model T. A friend (non-mechanic) said it was the timing chain tensioner. He said I didn't have to do anything with it until it breaks. Anyone have any ideas on it. If it breaks, will it mess up the engine? Will it be driveable to get to a shop? How much does it cost to replace? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tman1175 said:
I have a 99 4.0L SOHC w/75,000 on it. The engine has been making this cluttering sound. Sounds like a model T. A friend (non-mechanic) said it was the timing chain tensioner. He said I didn't have to do anything with it until it breaks. Anyone have any ideas on it. If it breaks, will it mess up the engine? Will it be driveable to get to a shop? How much does it cost to replace? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If it broke you would lose the engine. Search, as there are many threads on here about this problem.

I had a clanking noise from timing chain for about a month, turned out the tensioner let go , leaving my chain flopping and noisy (98xlt, sohc 120,000miles). Well chain snapped last week 75 miles from home. Tell your friend he is wrong, caused all my open valves to stay open and bent by pistons. Also all kinds of crap trashed my engine too. A garage in blackstone Mass found me an 4L sohc engine from a 2002xlt with 50,000 miles, and swapped motor for $2000 including labor. Got my baby back in 2 days and running fresh now.

Back