Timing Chains need replaced I think??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chains need replaced I think???

Ford has tsb for this concern. Here you go.
Printable View (10 KB)
TSB
04-15-4 RATTLE NOISE FROM PRIMARY CHAIN DRIVE AREA 2000-3000 RPM - 4.0L SOHC ENGINE

Publication Date: July 16, 2004

FORD: 1999-2002 Explorer
2001-2002 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer Sport, Ranger
MERCURY: 1999-2002 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 02-08-01 to update part numbers and add a labor operation for vehicles with auxiliary air conditioning.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (single over-head cam) engine may exhibit a primary timing chain rattle noise. The noise is heard during hot and cold engine operation (but mainly heard on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 RPM. To verify concern, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000 and 3000 RPM and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the primary timing chain tensioner system.

ACTION:
Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The Kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Primary Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fasteners, Primary Timing Chain, and Front Cover Gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit and follow the instruction sheet supplied with the Kit.

Use Kit 2U3Z-6D256-CA (balance shaft engines) for:

1999-2001 4X4 Explorer/Mountaineer
2001-2002 4X4 Sport/Sport Trac
ALL 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA.
Use Kit P/N 2U3Z-6D256-DA (non balance shaft engines) for:

1999-2001 4X2 Explorer/Mountaineer
2001-2002 4X2 Sport/Sport Trac
2002 MY Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA
ALL 2001-2002 Ranger

LABOR OPERATION CLAIMING CHART
Operation Labor Description Vehicle Time
041504A Replace The Primary Timing Chain 1999-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer 6.1
Tensioner, Chain Guide, 2000 Postal Explorer 6.3
Jack Shaft And 2001 Postal Explorer 6.0
Crankshaft Sprockets 2001-2002 Explorer Sport, Sport Trac, Ranger 5.8
2002 Explorer, Mountaineer Without Auxiliary Air Conditioning 6.4

041504B Replace The Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jack Shaft And Crankshaft Sprockets 2002 Explorer, Mountaineer With Auxiliary Air Conditioning 6.7

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2U3Z-6D256-CA Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit - Balance Shaft Engines
2U3Z-6D256-DA Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit - Non Balance Shaft Engines

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6D256 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

I love TSB's. They tell you Ford knows the problem is in the design, designed new parts to fix it, then ducked out of covering it under warranty.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy a 4.0L Explorer. At least the 5.0 and 4.6 trucks have pretty reliable motors. That jackshaft and rear timing chain thing was enough to turn me off for good.

Back