Tip of the day on oil additives that you need to know | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tip of the day on oil additives that you need to know

was this enough facts

• yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • well almost

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • would like to see more info

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • it was too long

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
lucas rocks

Lucas oil is great stuff Dont be afraid to try it! I added a bottle to my 4.0 that was ready to die, and got another 6 months out it. It works even better on new engines. Lucas is a high quality synthetic additive, so dont go mixing it in with your crap oil, makes no sense to me. It works best on newer, clean engines that have always ran synthetics, but any application applies. I swear by it!

---------------------
1997 Black Ford Explorer Sport

Hedman Headers / Y-Pipe
K&N Cold Air Induction
Throttle Body Spacer
Custom Exhast
'98 4.0 V6 (13k, painted red and silver)
Much, Much More Coming Soon!

I absolutely love STP - for cutting oil that is... It makes the best lathe/tapping oil out there - which is of course not its intended appilcation, but hey, someone has to keep it off the shelves at Big Lots.

Of course it stops engine noise - so does that expanding foam insulation stuff in cans - it coats everything so it can't make noise.

BTW, last time I tore down an engine that used one of the PTFE products, the oil filter screen was totally plugged. It looked like someone melted a plastic coffee can lid to it.

Also have seen disasterous results with Pennziol and Quaker State oils in some personal tests I did when I worked in the hydraulics industry... Both were totally unnaceptable - Valvoline was best as a Dino based oil - synthetics were far and away superior in wear tests (run a recirculating ball on a spinning shaft with an oil drip - measure for wear - Pennzoil broke the shaft in under 3 hours - Quaker State took less than 5 - Valvoline was still running well at 30 days with no measurable wear - synthetics didn't even leave a mark...)

Anyone have any comments on graphite based additives, such as Krex KGR. Our dealer has been adding it to our Honda accord at oil changes. I'm going to have them quit. My Mountaineer I just use recommended factory oil 5w 30.

Harold

Back