Tips for fixing coolant leak from lower intake manifold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips for fixing coolant leak from lower intake manifold

Velvis

Reaction score
City, State
Medfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
On Saturday I am attempting to replace the lower intake gaskets to repair a coolant leak in my 1996 Explorer Sport 4.0. I have a couple of friends going to help out as well.

I have never attempted something this challenging before so I would love some tips of what I might run into. Needed tools, things to watch out for, etc.

Questions I have before starting:

1) Autozone has the gasket kit for $100. Should I get to Ford gaskets instead and how much more would that be?

2) Do I need an air ratchet?

3) Will I need the fan pulley or any other special tools?

Thanks for any and all tips!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for lower intake you will need valve cover, lower intake, and upper intake gaskets
$100 sounds HIGH

You will need some silicoln also, the lower intake gasket is sealed with silicoln at the corners of the front and rear U shaped seal

The lower intake is NOT THAT HARD at all really
You will have to remove the upper intake (dua) the valve covers, the coil pack, the throttle cables, the fuel lines, and some wiring and plumbing

No air tools needed, I dont think you even need to remove the belt, let alone the fan

if your 96 has plastic intake (it does) then you may consider replacing the green O rings right now also

Are you SURE your leak is the lower intake gasket? not a head gasket?

Hi thanks for the reply.
I am not sure its the lower intake but from my previous thread here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237597
I included a picture of the area where the leak is coming from in that thread.

Someone suggests that it is likely the lower intake gasket rather than a head gasket because of the estimated position of the leak.

Does the fact that it does not always leak (I am assuming from the t-stat being closed) in any way further pin point the leak?

What is the proper type of silicon to use?

I agree its either part of the lower intake gasket, or the thermostat elbow is leaking

The thermostat elbow is a PITA to remove, removing the alternator will help, OR you can use a 10mm socket (shallow) with 1/4" drive ratchet, and you can get the three bolts, a 10mm wrench from behind the alternator will also allow access

I would plan a new 195 thermostat and O ring as well
The thermostat elbow is mounted with just silicoln, no gasket, make sure you clean both surfaces well

Black RTV silicoln or red will work just fine

All 4.0L OHV engines over 150K miles IMO can benefit from all new intake gaskets, it is COMMON for the lower intake to leak air and coolant after 150K Miles, just usually not where yours is!!

Is the thermostat elbow a part store part or a Ford only part?

Also would the thermostat elbow have to come off to fix the lower intake gasket? ie could I determine the thermostat elbow was bad before continuing on to do the gaskets?

thermostat elbow is metal, no need to replace it
its held on to the front of your lower intake with 3 bolts

yes you can remove and replace the thermostat 50,000 times without ever having to remove the lower intake

try doing a search! there are even pictures!
4.0L thermostat housings leak, the bolts are easy to cross thread, one of the bolts can be a PITA to get at, but with a little research and searching you can easily replace the thermostat and check the housing for leaks yourself

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about replacing the thermostat housing because of a crack in it, not the thermostat and gasket.

I have one remaining question:
The green O rings you mention, Autozone had no part listed or knowledge of them. What part name would I use to get them from Ford?

Thanks again for all your help.

Back