Tire chains. who has them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire chains. who has them?

I am looking to hear from people who have tire chains on their explorer. I have a 2013 explorer sport and I am looking into chains for going to the mountains.

For the winter I am on 245/65R17 hakkapeliitta 8 studded winter tires. But where I am going may need more traction than that.

Does anyone on here have tire chains on their 5th gen?

I know in the manual it says that chains can be put on the 17, and 18 inch wheels. and it only talks about chains on the front wheels. Has anyone used chains, test fit them or not. I am going to be doing a test fit front and back later this week. I am just hopping to find out first hand from someone who has used them.

I looked into chains for my bronco. I really wanted a set with the V-bars on them. They seem to be designed for snow and ice. Here in OK we get more ice storms than snow so I figured they would be nice to have. The price of them to only use them maybe once or twice a year is what keep me from ordering a pair. Also finding a nice set to fit over my 33" M/Ts jacked the price up. Be sure to look at a set with the V-bar is what I'm getting at.

Here is a pic of just chains vs V-bar chains. You can see why they would work better.

thanks for that, the set that I am test fitting this week has v bars. I am hoping that they are going to fit. but due to space limitations I do not know if I will be on vbar chains, chains, or cables. I will keep you posted.

thanks for that, the set that I am test fitting this week has v bars. I am hoping that they are going to fit. but due to space limitations I do not know if I will be on vbar chains, chains, or cables. I will keep you posted.

Please do... I'd still like to have a set.

I have test fit a sett of ladder chains with v-bars. they definitely do not fit on the front. You may be able to use cable chains. The point that rules it out is the chains are 1/4" from the strut.

The rear chains fit and have a fair amount of room. There is 2 fingers to the closest contact point. This contact point is the hydraulic brake line mount. I may be able to relocate the mount. If this works then I would feel a lot more comfortable running chains.

Back