• Register Today It's free!

Tire Issues

earnbud

Reaction score
City, State
New Port Richey, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Explorer 4X4
Hi again guys , i got a 4 wheel drive truck that has the offroad tires , except right before i bought the truck somehow the front passenger side wheel got bent i think from an accident

Anyways so he put on a spare tire which is not as wide as the other tires , but i noticed when i drive it almost sounds like the tires are flat in 1 spot on the tires and i only hear it in the front and i didnt know was this due to a regular tire and then a spare tire up front , 2 of the tires match exactly which is the front drivers side and the back passenger side , the back drivers side is also an offroad tire but a different brand

So i didnt know , do i just need to get a new tire for the front passenger side , but i just didnt understand that if all the tires are the same size that why would i hear like the tires are flat and i just checked the air in them , the other thing i noticed was that on the regular tires the psi is 50 and the spare tire is 40 psi , so i set all of the tires to 35 psi , could that be the reason or what

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing the PSI will change road noise and handling on any tire. You said the front drivers side and back passenger side matched. Move the back passenger side to the front passenger side (if tread pattern allows this) and see if the noise starts coming from the back

But then what about the fact that the spare tire then would be in the back , considering its rear wheel drive shouldnt the better tires be in the back

Also another question , what if i had 2 of the same psi and size tires but the tread was different , how much of a difference would there be with handling or whatever

Reason im asking is that obviously i need to replace that spare tire with the correct size tire and what if i cant find that exact same thread but then everything else matches

No you want your better tires in the front. Thats where you get your handling and also get better traction.

Your best off replacing the two odd ball tires. Put two that match in the front, and two that match in the rear.

Oh ok , because someone suggested to me to put the better tires in the back , but i personally thought in the front made more sense

So now after i put the 2 matching ones in the front , i have another 50 psi same size tire and then the 35 psi passenger tire , can i just get away with replacing the 1 tire if i can find a similiar thread or should i probably get 2 matching in the back

And for now since i cant get the tires right away , what should i put my psi at if i have 3 50 psi and then 1 40 psi , normally i lower it by 5 psi but should i do like 35 psi for the spare tire and then 43 psi for the other 3 or what , so even though different psi , still same amount of air in all

You really should get 2 matching ones, unless you can find the exact same tire. Which would end up being a matching pair. As long as they are in the back, my recommendation would be to follow the PSI stated on the tire. They put that on there because thats what it performs best and is safest at.

But isnt it not good to have the tire at the max pressure , then the ride would be stiff , and then also if i did that then in the back ide have 1 tire 15 psi lower then the other tire

Thats the problem with running unmatching tires.

Back