Tire Opinions Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Opinions Please

I need some help. I am trying to decide what tires to buy when I replace my stock style tires. I am going to run 265/75 R16. I have a couple options and I would like some opinions based on what other people are running. Here is what I have found-

BFG All Terrain

Nitto Terra Grappler

Toyo Open Country AT

Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT

EDIT: Yokohama Geolander AT

I mostly drive on the highway, and don't want too rough tires. I would like to have some off road capabilities, but not sacrifice too much fuel mileage ride comfort. I want the bigger size to fill my wheel wells for looks. My stock tires look too small.

Does anyone have any of the above tires and what are your opinions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set of the Toyo's on my rig. They're a bit noisy, and ride a little rougher thatn my last set, but I went with an LT tire instead of a P rating, so that's probably the source of most of it. Other than that they're great tires, especially for tire life. They have been on the truck for about 25k now, and are showing little sign of wear.

I think the Dueler's would best fit what you want... they arent too agressive, but they probably do fine off road as long as you dont do anything extreme

Go with the yokohama or geolanders this are much better on the road

SinCityKnights said:
Go with the yokohama or geolanders this are much better on the road

the geolandars are yokohamas, and are a little aggressive on the road, they are also of a very soft compund and need more attention then most tires

I run BFG ATKOs they are quiet running and look pretty mean for an AT. As for wear, I have a 5 wheel rotation so they should last for a long while. I would shy away from anything with a directional tread pattern, just in case you have a flat, your spare will not wear well if you have to run it on the wrong side. Later - Nate

I have the geolanders...decent tire. I did a review in the review section

-Drew

I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT and i drive highway 20 minutes to school and back every day and aslo to see friends on the weekend. It rides real smooth. i also take the X through a friends backyard woods all the time so they are agressive enough to handle the off roading.

Well, I have a couple of concerns.

I read the Dueler's have a high rolling resistance and will cause a 1-2 MPG loss. I read that on the tire reviews on TireRack.com. Has anyone experienced this?

I like the looks of the Nitto's or the BFG's because of the tread on the sidewall. I don't really need it, but it looks so good and gives an agressive look without using a mud tire.

Costs:
BFG -$157 each at Sam's Club
Nitto - $135 each on Ebay including shipping
Dueler's - $130 each Sam's Club also has a $75 rebate
Geo's - $125 at TireRack
Toyo's - $150 + shipping on 1010tires.com

Kind of risking it - I've seen his tires on eBay before. I guess just read his feedback and maybe contact the people he hasn't sold tires to to see how they like them. Hope that helps

-Drew

Im thinkig of sticking to a more mainstream tire because if I ruin one, then I can get a replacement easily enough.

ExplorerMDB- I see you are lifted 7" and can fit 33's. These that I am thinking about are nearly 32's (31.8), should I be worried about them rubbing or hitting the fender? I saw on here someone put them on a sport with no problems, but it seems strange that with your lift (btw very nice) you can only run 33's or 34's. It seems like you should be able to run at least 35's. Im not knocking your rig by any means, it looks awsome.

I have the toyos and wouldn't trade them for a thing. Work great all around, rain, snow, dry, mud, everything.

Dan

um, I havn't expierenced any mpg loss with the Dueler and also I got mine real cheap. I think they were $105 at town fair tire-if you have that store near you.

unfortunely - with my truck I can only run 33s and 34s -- but remember that is with NO trimming. I did not want to trim. The 34s rubbed a little on the front bumper, but that's it. 35s might of fit with some fender trimming. You should be fine with 32s. Also, my 33s really like 33.4 -- most tires are undersized (see how you said your 32s are 31.8) -- anyhow...good luck.

-Drew

Well, Ive sold my motorcycle which gives me the necessary cash to buy some tires. I found a place nearby that sells BFG's for $137 each, which is pretty cheap. Think I am going to buy them because I have never seen a bad review for them and they look awesome.

I found some Cooper Discovery S/T's blemished for $117 each mounted, but I understand that there has been some problems with tread separation and build quality. Given the explorers tendency to roll, I don't want to risk that.

BTW: Cooper, Mastercraft, Dick Cepick (spelling?) and Pro Comp are all made by the same company. Certain models of the above tires are subject to recall, if you have them, check carefully for bulges or tread problems.

I have a 99 that is only lifted 3" and I run 33X12.5 with a little trimming on the front bumper, not much at all, just nipped the corner off the bottom. I have mickey thompson Baja Claw Radials, sound like a helicopter on the highway but I wouldn't trade them for anything. I also run 33x9.5 BFG AT and they are sweet too for adverse conditions. The bajas are bad in the snow, but everything else they are boss. Good Luck

I have Dueler A/T Revo's on my '97 Explorer 4X4. I basically only drive on roads, with occasional trips "off-road" around our family farm. I am not happy with them at all. After about 20k, they are cupping very bad on the inner part of the tread. I keep them rotated every 5k, and have kept the truck alligned as it is supposed to be as well. Also, all suspension parts check out fine. The problem is a tire issue, not a truck issue. The tire shop I use told me that they are seeing this problem on the Revo's on several different vehicles, and have basically quit selling them. My last set of tires were the "original" style Dueller A/T's, and I was pleased with them, just a little noisy around town. The OE tires were Goodyear Wranglers, which were TERRIBLE in all driving situations.

I bit the bullet Friday and bought some BFG All Terrain's. LT265/75 R16 First of all I love the way they look. The side shoulders look very agressive, but the interior tread is definately A/T. They have just a little bit of road noise over my previous Goodyear Tracker tires. Only have driven about 30 miles on the tires so far, so I will know more in the future.

I found a place about an hour away from where I live that had them for $137 each. That is a cash and carry price though. Mounting and balancing was $12 per tire. I went to a local shop about 1 mile from my house and they had them for $159 mounted and balanced. I told them that if they would do a wheel alignment for no charge I would buy them. Alignments around here are $40 almost anywhere you go. So I saved three hours of my time and the gas for the to and from trip. I also bought from a local dealer, and any time I can do business locally, I do. Total cost for four tires and alignment $699. I went back today (Saturday) and asked them if they had another 265/75 R16 for my spare. They had a set they pulled off a truck that had about 6mm or tread. They removed my origonal spare, mounted and balanced the different tire for $20.

All in all I am very pleased. Camera phone pictures to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New Tire Pictures

I appologize in advance for the quality of these:
04-22-06_1541.jpg

04-22-06_1544.jpg

04-22-06_1546.jpg

I will post better pictures if and when I get my camera back from repairs. :fire:

Back