Tire size on a '01 sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire size on a '01 sport trac

xtremez28

Reaction score
I belive my truck currently has 255/70/R16 tires on it, but I need some new tires. How big can I go with everything else being stock? What kind do you recommend that are a good all terrain tire? Thankks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

265/70-16 will fit fine, 265/75-16 might rub a little but people use them. I have 265/75's with the torsion bars turned up a little.
BFG All-Terrains, Pro Comp A/T's, and Bridgestone Duelers or REVO's are good A/T tires.

Related Q: I have 2004 Sport Trac with stock 235/70/16. Need new tires. I believe 255/70/16 are no problem. Am considering 265/70/16 or 275/70/16.

Not interested in lift or leveling kit. Doubt rubbing will be issue (except maybe in tight parking circumstance). Not concerned about spedometer.

Somewhat concerned about brakes. I don't trailer. So I figure I'm probably OK with 275s.

Or...?

What about the General Grabber AT2 or Firestone Destination AT? I have been doing some research and both of these tires got some good reviews.

I have a 2003 Sport Trac 4x2 (that came stock with 235/75-16) with 265/75-16 with rubbing in tight turns on front and rubbing in the back when making high speed turns. I would have to say get a slimmer tire like JohhnyO said such as the 265/70-16 just to be safe. I know I will be going with that size tire when I purchase new ones.

Roddy

Related Q: I have 2004 Sport Trac with stock 235/70/16. Need new tires. I believe 255/70/16 are no problem. Am considering 265/70/16 or 275/70/16.

Not interested in lift or leveling kit. Doubt rubbing will be issue (except maybe in tight parking circumstance). Not concerned about spedometer.

Somewhat concerned about brakes. I don't trailer. So I figure I'm probably OK with 275s.

Or...?

I just had 275/70 R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's put on the Trac (today). No rubbing at full turn or compression. I also dropped on Rancho RSX's, so that may be keeping the tires from rubbing on compression. I don't have a lift, nor did I do any trimming. I'll take a shot this weekend after I buff it out and wax. But, needless to say, they fill the wheel wells nicely. To me the 255s always looked small for the wells.

275/75 R16 = 31.2" height, 10.8 section width, 8.1" tread width, 16 inch rim. 265/75 R16 are a little taller (I believe 31.8"), which accounts for the rub on compression and tight turns.

What is nice is that my speedometer was calibrated (computer chip set RPMs) by Ford lower than my actual speed. Using my GPS as a test device, the speedometer is now correct based on the larger tire. So, there's no need to pick up a flasher or see if a dealer can edit the computer. :thumbsup:

Adam - Do you have pics of your 275/70s?

I just had 275/70 R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's put on the Trac (today). No rubbing at full turn or compression. I also dropped on Rancho RSX's, so that may be keeping the tires from rubbing on compression. I don't have a lift, nor did I do any trimming. I'll take a shot this weekend after I buff it out and wax. But, needless to say, they fill the wheel wells nicely. To me the 255s always looked small for the wells.

275/75 R16 = 31.2" height, 10.8 section width, 8.1" tread width, 16 inch rim. 265/75 R16 are a little taller (I believe 31.8"), which accounts for the rub on compression and tight turns.

What is nice is that my speedometer was calibrated (computer chip set RPMs) by Ford lower than my actual speed. Using my GPS as a test device, the speedometer is now correct based on the larger tire. So, there's no need to pick up a flasher or see if a dealer can edit the computer. :thumbsup:

I'd like to see those pics as well..

I never got around to wash and wax, but this is on some old logging roads on the way to our cabin/hunting lands.

01.jpg

and closer up

tires.JPG

As for rubbing, they did rub coming back down the mountain when the body would roll forward. But, this occurred very little, and was only light rubbing. The rear left rubs on tight fast turns (the right may also), but when I say tight and fast, I mean an almost full cut wheel at about 20 or so MPH (think of a quick turn into a road or lot to beat oncoming traffic). It's really minimal overall, and the look more than makes up for the very little rubbing that I've experienced.

Back