• Register Today It's free!

Tire valve

dthack06

Reaction score
City, State
Belfry Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer XLT
Quick question. I have a tire valve leaking on my 05 explorer, not the stem inside the valve but where the valve meets the rim. Do I need to replace the whole TPMS sensor or can I just replace the valve itself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have your terminology reversed, the stem is the rubber part that seals on the rim and the valve is the core inside it.

16 year old vehicle so surely the TPMS have been replaced already? If so it may depend on what the last tire shop to do so, used. Call them and ask.

However if it's stock/similar, the TPMS can detach from the stem to only replace the stem. It may be somewhat like this:

rubber_tpms_assembly.jpg

You may have your terminology reversed, the stem is the rubber part that seals on the rim and the valve is the core inside it.

16 year old vehicle so surely the TMPS have been replaced already? If so it may depend on what the last tire shop to do so, used. Call them and ask.

However if it's stock/similar, the TMPS can detach from the stem to only replace the stem. It may be somewhat like this:

View attachment 372005

Here's the type on my 2004 Explorer. Metal stem with outside nut,O-ring seals it.
Nd9GcTEGKhJOQxLjN61zXa1jTU5WnHdes3eiP0ekQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

^ Aside from being metal body with o-ring gasket to seal, it's interchangeable with the rubber type to the extent the same type/compatible sensor screws onto the back of it?

You have to replace the whole thing.

16 year old vehicle so surely the TPMS have been replaced already? If so it may depend on what the last tire shop to do so, used. Call them and ask.

However if it's stock/similar, the TPMS can detach from the stem to only replace the stem. It may be somewhat like this:

View attachment 372005
I’ve never replaced the tpms. Never had any reason to change it out.
Here's the type on my 2004 Explorer. Metal stem with outside nut,O-ring seals it.
View attachment 372011
I believe that’s how mine is set up also
View attachment 372011
ive never replaced the tpms, never had any reason to really. But I’m about to get a new set of tires put on before the weather gets bad so I was gonna have valve replaced as well. But thanks for the info, helps out a lot!

Back