• Register Today It's free!

tires and optional sizes?

Thomas Mackin

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 02 XLT needs new tires and the top rated on The Tire Rack is the General Grabber HTS in my size 245 65 R17. I live in Northern Wi so need a good all season. Anyone have this tire or have changed size?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have that size in a BFG Radial T/A. The Grabber got the top rating from Consumer Reports in their latest tire review. I was going to replace mine with Grabbers last time around until I realized that my full-sized spare (a Radial T/A) was unused, so I put it and 3 new tires on to save myself the cost of a 4th tire.

I'd go for them. They got great ratings for wet/snow traction. Don't wear as well as BFG's, though.

I replaced my stock BFG's with Michelin LTX M/S, 255/70/17. Slight rub on hard lock turns but they fill the wheel wells out nicely, are quiet on the road and perform well in the snow.

Edit: Remember if you change sizes, replace the spare as well so as not to chew up your t-case in the event you need to use it.

Would having 3 tires at half tread and the 4th being brand new have a negative effect on the Tcase?

Would having 3 tires at half tread and the 4th being brand new have a negative effect on the Tcase?

nope it shouldnt. its such a minimal change that it shouldnt matter, and you have either an open diff or a limited slip diff and that should also compensate for any change.

Had the original BF's, only got 30K out of them, put on a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L's, crap tire like the BF's, only got 30K out of them, pro-rated tire, so applied 1/2 the cost to a set of Bridgestone Alenza's. The Alenza's are not a bad tire for the money, got 50K out of them, proving there wasn't something wrong with my truck as I was beginning to wonder why I was chewing through tires.

Just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S's on mine this weekend. Had them on previous Explorers and got over 80K on all 3 sets on different vehicles. Best tire for the money. You will pay more up front, but cost less over the life of the tire. Michelin is running a rebate($70 on a set of 4) on them now through Discount Tire.

Back