• Register Today It's free!

To swap or not to swap

smith26

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer
I just had the tranny in my 92 give up. Its the A4LD. I plan on doing an sas with eb axles,lifting it and bigger tires, (probably 33's) What would you suggest, get a rebuilt auto or if I can I might have access to a 4x4 89 ranger complete minus blown up engine and a 5spd(I don't know which one yet and I'm trying to find out) Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had the tranny in my 92 give up. Its the A4LD. I plan on doing an sas with eb axles,lifting it and bigger tires, (probably 33's) What would you suggest, get a rebuilt auto or if I can I might have access to a 4x4 89 ranger complete minus blown up engine and a 5spd(I don't know which one yet and I'm trying to find out) Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!:D

A 5 speed would be more durable but it depends on what you want and what you do with it. I just swapped out a 5 speed for a A4LD because I do a lot of off-camber climbing, rock climbing, etc. IMO, rebuild the A4LD, install a shift improver kit, temp gauge, additional trans cooler, and regear the axles.

that shift improver kit will it come with an updated tranny or is that something to add on?

no tranny, It's just a kit to install in your existing transmission.

5 speed is abit stouter...but it's not indestructable. I've blown mine apart while driving down the highway. When my tranny goes again i'm planning on replacing it with a c4. You can do it with junk yard parts, and it's stronger than an a4. The only down side is that it has no OD. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money on another a4.

do NOT use the fm-146 5 speed out of an 89 ranger 2.9l truck.it is barely adequete for the 2.9l.a very very small amount came with the m5od(same tranny as the exploder) and it is fine to use,it has no tranny pan like the fm-146.both are the same length as your a4ld so driveshafts aren't a prob.wiring isen't too difficult but you will want a manual tranny computer,tranny jumper harnesses,and the brake/clutch support and pedals.the hydralic clutch can be a pain to bleed and make sure to get a new slave cylinder since its internal.not too hard of a swap just be prepared to get dirty!

Back