today, resonator removal from exhaust system... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

today, resonator removal from exhaust system...

lounge lizard

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt awd
so
today I cut out my resonator from my exhaust system. first I took my 4 1/2" grinder and cut the exhaust pipe right behind the resonator can as close as I could get to it, to allow as much pipe as I could for the later stage.

DSCN2623.jpg

once I had the tail pipe section with the resonator still on it removed from the truck. I cut the resonator off the tail pipe as close to the can as I could on my band saw.

I picked a piece of 2 1/4" dia. pipe that was 18" long. I cut that to 14" long and I used my pipe expanding tool to expand the cut end of the pipe enough to get the tail pipe part of the exhaust in it.

I then welded the two pipes together to eliminate a clamp that I would have a hard time reaching up in the body of the truck.

I installed the complete pipe back on the truck with the factory expanded end of the new pipe going onto the cut pipe at the muffler.

DSCN2626.jpg

once the pipe was hung I clamped this last joint so in the future if I need to change anything I can.

everything went back in easily. and while I was at it I used my floor jack to raise the tail pipe tip up closer to the body since it was hanging so low after I installed my body lift.

here is an after sound clip of the exhaust. there was no need for a before because you can listen to any stock 5.0L explorer to hear what it did sound like.

here it is!

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j...gine repair/?action=view&current=DSCN2627.mp4

it does not give it alot of sound, but it is there. for about $25.00 or less and a couple of hours messing around in the drive way. :p:

Hmmm, very interesting! I wonder how it would sound if you removed the two secondary cats as well?

I may try this very thing before I spend the money on a performance muffler. I don't necessarily want more power, but would like a little more rumble for someone on an unemployment budget currently. How's the saying go, "When I've got the money, I don't have the time; but when I have the time, I don't have the money!"

how true it is Turbo!

maybe in the future ( this summer since it is winter here now ) I will take some time and try some other things.

but I'm older and I don't need a loud rumble at an idle. but when she is up in the rpm range it would be nice to hear a little bit of it.

last night I had to go for a ride around 11:00 p.m. and it was a good distance so I got to hear it some.

doesn't sound bad on just taking out the resonator. still need to take it out on a real road with maybe a higher speed limit.

Back