• Register Today It's free!

Tonneau lock replacement

600remguy

Reaction score
City, State
SW Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 SportTrac XLT 4Paw
Can anyone tell me how to remove the tonneau cover locks? My front one won't pull the cables enuff to open the latches. Maybe they are not serviceable? I don't know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cable assy just prys off of the lock itself. That's all you need to replace. You do not have to remove the lock to do that.

Tonneaucoverparts2002-1.jpg

Tonneaucoverparts2001small.jpg

Thanx ncranchero. Finally got around to investigating why my front cover lock doesn't work. Little actuating tab inside is broken. But real reason I posted is to say that prying the cable unit off the lock is a one time thing. It bends and breaks the tabs that hold them together.

That's good to know! I removed some of them once but didn't put them back. Not real good!!!

Thanx ncranchero. Finally got around to investigating why my front cover lock doesn't work. Little actuating tab inside is broken. But real reason I posted is to say that prying the cable unit off the lock is a one time thing. It bends and breaks the tabs that hold them together.

So if I remove the cable assy. from the lock, do the tabs on the lock or the cable assy break? Has anyone got the lock and cable assy apart without damaging them.
I bought a used cover for $100 and dont have the keys. Going to take it to the locksmith and see if I can get it keyed. Hopefully I can get that done but it looks like the safety pull might have been yanked so I dont know if the cable assy still works. All the latching mechanisms work, just dont know if the key will turn them.
I was wondering about the lock because if I can get it keyed and the cable assy wont work, I will have to get a new assy. If there is no way to seperate the lock and the cable assy with out damaging them, then I will have to end up buying a new lock also ? Then if I want one key for the cover, I will have to buy 2 new locks and 2 cable assy's. Going to get expensive. Still have to buy the four strikers.

Wish I had better news. Front cable assembly-$80 Canadian. My cables looked brand new and I believe they were, but some over zealous person forced the key around and broke a wee little plastic tab that turns the piece that the cable ends attach to inside the locking part, for lack of a better term. The tabs I speak of are actually fingers that spring outwards, or really, inwards, to hold the two assemblies together, sorta like the way cheap aftermarket gauges are sometimes held against the surface they are mounted to from behind. There are two fingers, 180 degrees apart and I could see no way to disengage the fingers as they engage towards the centre of the lock barrel. You MIGHT get lucky and just bend the fingers and be able to straighten them out to work again, but I'm definitely not going to try and see if it works. IF you can see the tumblers, you can clamp vice grips on that metal tab jutting out the bottom and turn it when they are lined up properly-then you'll know if cables work. Only about a 150-160 degree turn though. If latches don't pop, your wee little tab is broken like mine was. If the 'smith can see the tumblers, he may be able to key the lock. Try him out-I've seen some do neat things.

Went to a locksmith and he made me a key for 15 dollars. I dropped it off for about 2 hours and came back and it was done. He got one of the cable assy's apart from the lock. Dont know how he did it but it was together when I bought it home and it just came apart as I was oiling it. He must of took it apart so he could read the tumbler numbers. Just stuck it back together with a little twist. Hopefully it wont fall off going down the road or something but its seems like its on there pretty good.Might have to secure it with something but it seems to be working fine.Had to oil the cables and lock real good but got everything working.

I have the same lock on my Tonneau. I was able to take it apart. My problem is, is that I don't know the mfg of my Tonneau and therefore unable to find a replacement. Locksmiths around here will not even consider making a new key. I need a new lock as the previous owner broke the top cover and lost the slip rings that hold the lock in place.

All this to say ... do you know the mfg of your Tonneau?

If your top is like the one in the pics, it came from Ford. You should be able to get your replacement parts from the Ford dealership. A Ford dealership out of Florida emailed me an illustrated parts list, so I could order what I needed. You can email them at sales@fastpartsnetwork.com They helped me when my local dealership couldnt. Your local dealership might be able to help.

If your top is like the one in the pics, it came from Ford. You should be able to get your replacement parts from the Ford dealership. A Ford dealership out of Florida emailed me an illustrated parts list, so I could order what I needed. You can email them at sales@fastpartsnetwork.com They helped me when my local dealership couldnt. Your local dealership might be able to help.

I contacted them and was told that there wasn't a parts list available, and they did not know who mfg'd the cover either.

If you still have that parts list, could you PDF it to me? I would be forever grateful ;)

I dont have the parts list anymore, Sorry. When I contacted Fast Parts Network, I was emailed the parts list the next day. I did see a partial diagram of the cover on their website but it wasnt as detailed as the one they sent me. Its under the Parts Catalog. If it turns up or I find out anything I will post it.

Ok, I know this is a old thread, but I just purchased a 2007 Sport Trac and I need to replace the locks on the bed cover, mainly because I don't have the keys. I also need the rubber lock covers - that fold back to expose the lock.

On top of that, I need the rubber piece that goes on the hinge, there is one on each side in the center, that slides over the center hinge. The rubber piece helps to keep water out.

I have tried to use my local dealer, they were no help and just wanted to sell me a new cover for $1100, what a joke.

Tried to find a illustration that shows the exact part numbers, but I'm unable to confirm the exact part numbers for the items I need.

If anyone can share the parts list showing these, I would greatly appreciate it.

When I purchased my '01 ST last summer I was told the ignition key didn't work in the doors, tailgate or tonneau cover locks. It turned out the all these locks were just stuck from lack of use. I sprayed inside the key slots with WD40 and they all began to work again. It's worth a try.

As far as the rubber lock cover - You can buy a complete used tonneau cover for what you'll have to pay for that stupid rubber lock cover. Best price I found was around $100 with a high if $150 for one. I'll live w/out it thanks.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SPA...ash=item35e3764af7:g:gvoAAOSwo3pWetJU&vxp=mtr

When I purchased my '01 ST last summer I was told the ignition key didn't work in the doors, tailgate or tonneau cover locks. It turned out the all these locks were just stuck from lack of use. I sprayed inside the key slots with WD40 and they all began to work again. It's worth a try.

As far as the rubber lock cover - You can buy a complete used tonneau cover for what you'll have to pay for that stupid rubber lock cover. Best price I found was around $100 with a high if $150 for one. I'll live w/out it thanks.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SPA...ash=item35e3764af7:g:gvoAAOSwo3pWetJU&vxp=mtr

I didn't know the ignition key was supposed to work on the bed cover, will have to try that key again.

As for finding a used tonneau cover, I have not had any luck. The link you included was for a spare wheel cover, not clear to me that what I'm looking for. Again, wish I had a good picture to see exactly what part number is correct.

Thanks again

I didn't know the ignition key was supposed to work on the bed cover, will have to try that key again.

As for finding a used tonneau cover, I have not had any luck. The link you included was for a spare wheel cover, not clear to me that what I'm looking for. Again, wish I had a good picture to see exactly what part number is correct.

Thanks again

If your ST was born with that hard tonneau cover the ignition key should fit the locks.

For some reason that's how Tasca lists the rubber lock surround/cover. Maybe it has multiple applications, or maybe the 2007 cover is different...? Mine has 2 locks on the hard cover. One it the rear center and one behind the cab on the driver's side.

Here's a pic of my cover. I'm missing the cover for the lock behind the cab.
115_0059_zpso0g58oum.jpg

BTW, Ford has this site called ETIS. If you go there and enter your VIN there's an option to list exactly what equipment/options your ST was manufactured with.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SPA...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
you should use a dry lube instead it attracts less dirt and sand. However you are correct, my ignition key in my 01 ST was the key to all of the, just stuck from zero use. After getting them all turning again I had to break the housing and reconnect the cable for the tonneau cover as the rusted out ( i just used jb weld, seemed to work fine). The issue im having now is that the locks aren't engaging all the way. When the latch hooks the bar it doesn't travel far enough to engage the latch underneath it. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back