• Register Today It's free!

Door lock replacement?

Survivor61

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Well, some nice moron decided to break into my sons 91 Explorer this weekend. Looks like they used a screwdriver or somethig to punch out the passanger door lock. So, the magic question is, now what? Do I need to go to the dealer and see if I can get another lock and have it keyed to work with the old keys, or is there a better source?

Thanks,

Sorry to hear about that. What sucks is the only one hurting is the victim, not the crook.
Anyway, 2 things come to mind. If you have thief / vandalism on your insurance they might cover a locksmith coming out. Usually you have a deductable (here it's like $500) so that might get expensive.
Next, try a salvage yard & get a lock out of any model Ford. I don't think it has to be an exact fit, should be a 'universal' thing, but I would stay on the side of caution & try to find a Explorer the same year as yours. Before installing the new lock, get a locksmith to re-key it to your present key.
Lock shouldn't be too hard to get out. A clip or bolty holds it to the door & a pin for the inside button.
Hope this helps
Walter

Back