Took my 4.0L SOHC above 5k RPM

03ExplorerSPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT Premium
Let me tell you, it was awsome! I really love the sound of it up there. It shifted at about 5300 RPM but I don't think I had my foot down all the way since I believe redline is closer to 6000 RPM. The truck really moves when you put your foot into it. I have a whole new reason to love my new truck even more. The SOHC V6 is a great motor. I love it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now talk to brian and see if you can get some PTEC programming done to get the apten chip performance. IMHO it really unleashes this motor :D:D

haha... glad to hear it.. now get an exhaust on there and then run it up to the redline... Talk about a purring motor!

Ohh yeah.... goto www.kustomz.com and check out a new intake too.
And dont worry about the high rpms... those of us that are fortunate enought to ditch the pushrods can go up there ;)

Yeah guys I can only dream about chipping and intakes and exhausts. I almost got a new intake but my mother told me I can't do anything to the engine or exhaust. She's afraid my warranty will be voided. So for now I can' only enjoy the wonders of a 100% stock engine. It really sucks. I was hoping to put a Flowmaster 50 series on too. Ugh. Still makes me mad to think about it but hten again, I'm not the one paying the payments so I can't complain that much.

Straight from the apten chip FAQs.

Will the Apten Performance Chip void my warranty?
Typically, no. It is illegal for the vehicle manufacturer to void your warranty just because aftermarket parts are installed on your vehicle. You are protected by the Magnuson-Moss warranty, Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act. If you have a factory supercharged vehicle, talk to us more about the warranty implications. Normally it is not a problem, but if you are running a highly-modified Lightning or 2003 Cobra, the dealer may attempt to deny engine warranty claims if your modifications caused the failure.
May want to print out a copy of the Magnuson-Moss warranty and give it to mommy... I just showed mine that page. :D

Dude your awsome!! Thanks for that info!:D

:p Just tryin to help a brutha out ;)
Your mom can read more about the apten here:
http://www.apten-us.com/chips/faq.asp
Honestly, I just got the apten today, and it's the best thing I've done to my explorer since..... ever :D
I need to get a KKM next :p

What's PTEC???

I've read that PTEC programming or something is required for a chip to work on 2002.5 and later models. What is PTEC???

my biggest mod is the dynomax muffler (cherrybomb) i payed $40 for it, good deal id say... i want to get duals someday.. But yeah i push my 94 X 4500+ rpm before it shifts.

with my foot all the way down my 96 OHV will shift at about 5200 RPM. It might not be a SOHC or a v8 but it sounds pretty sweet to me, and still performs ok.

Back