• Register Today It's free!

Top shifter wont go into gear

maxmjmmat

Reaction score
City, State
Napa, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
After reading the awesome write up on clutch/ flywheel replacement i decided it was time for my x. Got everything back together with new atf and all and came to the last step: putting the top shifter back on. Im having a big issue and cant seem to find a solution on any of the threads with similair prblms. I slip the shifter into the gear box exactly where it seems it should go and it wont go into gear. It moves horizontilly as if its in nuetral but wont go vertically into gear, engine off. Had no issues with the slave. Had it in nuetral when i removed it. I also have the heads off so i cant start it. The input shaft went right in, the clitch pedal has normal stiffness and with the rear driveline off the transmission wont spin-locks both ways. Im totally stumped...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guess i got everybody else stumped on this one huh too. Dam.

Sounds like the shifter might not be inserted correctly. Can you spin the output shaft of the trans like its in neutral?

It wont budge clockwise or counter clockwise both drivelines disconnected

I'd say its still in gear then. You need to remove the shifter assembly and look down the hole and look for the prongs the shifter sits in. Then try to get the shifter into those notches.

Greatly appreciated. I guess where i thought it went was wrong. Ill look for prongs and let you know how it went. Thanks

The best thing to do when dealing with the shifter is to make sure it's in neutral before removing it. Once you peek down the hole (HA!) you should be able to see where it fits in.

Cant tell you how much i appreciate it man i used a flathesd to line up everything and its perfect now life saver thanks bunch now i just gota put the top end back together and shell be trail ready!

Glad to hear! I had quite a few bumps in the road building mine. Always nice when it comes together.

Back