Topper from 01 to 03 Sport Trac ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Topper from 01 to 03 Sport Trac ???

Boonie2

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
quick question , have an chance to pick up a Topper for my 03 Sport Trac , just wanted to see if anyone knows if a topper from an 01 will fit on an 03 ?? its all the way on the other coast of florida , and id kinda like to know before i drive all the way over this weekend?? Thanks Guys and ladies :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes

Yes, the trucks are the same. Either take a trailer or make really sure they have ALL the clamp hardware. Part of the clamp attaches to the truck via the factory threaded holes, and the other part bolts to the 1st part. Very common for people to sell the truck without the topper and forget to remove those clamps. If it's still on the seller's truck now you should be ok. A Sport Trac topper fits crossways in a 5x8 trailer.

Yes, the trucks are the same. Either take a trailer or make really sure they have ALL the clamp hardware. Part of the clamp attaches to the truck via the factory threaded holes, and the other part bolts to the 1st part. Very common for people to sell the truck without the topper and forget to remove those clamps. If it's still on the seller's truck now you should be ok. A Sport Trac topper fits crossways in a 5x8 trailer.
Very good advise!
Other option is to have a bunch of ratchet straps with you just in case you need to tie it onto your truck from the drive home

Thanks JuBean. I bought my topper last year from a guy who had bought the truck from his uncle and didn't want the topper. It was in the back yard - the seller and his uncle carried it around the house, across the street and put it in my trailer. I had taken the trailer because I had a toolbox across my truck and wasn't ready to take it out. Thanks to other threads on this forum, I knew enough to ask about the clamps. Sure enough, they were still bolted to the truck which I had parked behind. I bought an aftermarket flat cover a few weeks later. Seller had sold the truck - with half the clamps bolted to it. I should be ok if I ever decide to install the cover since I can't use the topper and cover at the same time, and can use that half of the clamps for either.

The clamps were missing when I got mine, lucky for me my local are dealer had some but it took about 30mins- 1hr of phone calls and confirmation on the correct part. Brand was titlock or titeclamp- I'll look for it later so it can help others out. I do remember thou that the clamps I got were a dual application w/ a Chevy step side and I got a returned set cause the bolts specific to the sport trac were missing

Thanks JuBean. I bought my topper last year

Didn't you get an a r e cx model? Is your back glass have 1 or 2 locks. If you get some time could you check your lift shocks for the pn, if it's still stock? Mine was shot so I replaced them but not the same, just used what was close match at local parts store. Now I wish I just ordered the right ones online cause it's to much force- I can't just drop the lid down or it slams. I'm afraid of busting the glass so I have to slowly ease it down

It's an ARE, but I'm not sure which model. 1 lock in the center. The shocks say SUSPA Grand Island, Mi, 24 lbs.

I just bought lift supports for the aftermarket lid on my '01 from this ebay seller. Had them in 5 days and they work great.
http://stores.ebay.com/Lift-Supports-Depot?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

You just need the length and lbs (24 in this case) to find the correct ones in their ebay store. I don't remember if they measure end to end or center to center, but it should show in the listings. I think it's end to end. The ones I bought cost $26 plus $6.90 shipping but they were a lot longer and stronger than needed for a topper door.

Regarding clamps, I was searching for a topper to go on my '01 recently on AD Huntr and a search link for the clamps popped up. I clicked on it out of curiosity, and they did list clamps for a Sport Trac. I think they also fit some GM truck.

How about starting a new thread ??
So my phone doesn't fill up with notices about my question

How about starting a new thread ??
So my phone doesn't fill up with notices about my question

Really? :thumbdwn: your question was answered immediately, the rest being either suggestions (regarding the clamps) and related (struts)- related to a topper that is. I didn't think it warranted starting another thread.

Not much else you can expect from your original question. I don't see the sarcasm from a smiley face especially since this is your 1st reply back to the answers and helpful hints you were given, normally the 1st response would be thank you. :scratch:

You always can change the notification for threads. Threads and post within those threads are here to help everyone…now and in the future.

Good day :D

Really? :thumbdwn: your question was answered immediately, the rest being either suggestions (regarding the clamps) and related (struts)- related to a topper that is. I didn't think it warranted starting another thread.

Not much else you can expect from your original question. I don't see the sarcasm from a smiley face especially since this is your 1st reply back to the answers and helpful hints you were given, normally the 1st response would be thank you. :scratch:

You always can change the notification for threads. Threads and post within those threads are here to help everyone…now and in the future.

Good day :D

OR you could always have YOUR conversation thru private messages , what a concept :thumbdwn: Relax dont get so offended :eek:

OR you might be glad to have the info in this thread when you drive all the way across Florida and find out the lift supports are weak, or part of the clamps are missing. It might keep you from passing on a deal because now you know some things to look for, and the parts are available.

We did veer from your original question, but you or someone else may benefit from the info here.

And still no "thank you".

Back