torque converter won't seat in pump gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque converter won't seat in pump gear

cicero17

Reaction score
City, State
Trooper, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exploere
I'm reinstalling my 5R55E in my 98 explorer. Long time since I've been around trannies, and then mostly sticks, and even truck tractors. Sliding the TC onto the shaft(s) is no problem, but I can't get the TC shaft to drop into the pump gear. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried pushing on the converter while rotating it? most of the time that will get it to seat.

Thanks Cyber. I've been trying that forever, but no luck. I'm assuming the two shafts are seated because the clearance from the stud base on the TC to the mounting flange on the engine block (and therefor the tranny flange) is about 1 9/16", and I'm about a half inch shy of that, which is about the distance it would drop in to the pump gear.

I'm missing something here!

I'm also a little confused because when I turn the TC the output shaft should turn also, and its not. But I must be in far enough for the shafts to be engaging, because the numbers are right there.

After repeated tries, and a lot of time on the internet, I discovered that the pump gear needs to be aligned on reassembly. I had a blown paper gasket between the pump and case, so I had to remove the bell housing to find it. Then I opted to pull the pump and knock out the seal from the inside. Mistake! So I'm off to pull it apart again just to align the pump gear. I'll follow up afterwards.

Back