Torque converter won't seat properly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter won't seat properly

RRust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hello,

I'm sure the fix is already on here but I could not find it. I have a 2004 4.0 explorer 2wd that I am replacing the engine on. The torque converter slid out (didn't fall, we caught it) and I can not get it to go back in. I spent every bit of 3 hrs just spinning, pushing, twisting etc. it looks like the shaft may be out to far. All the videos I found say to remove the bell housing, but mine is one piece. Any ideas on how to get this converter back in place? I'm literally about to burn the dang thing!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spin it clockwise while wiggling the snout up and down.

I did that.....for 3 hrs. The shaft is out too far and won't allow the torque converter to seat properly. That's what it seems like anyway. I've never had this many issues with a torque converter going back in.

Did the shaft come out as well?

In case you still need help. That center shaft will pull out. You can pull it out and make sure nothing is messed up as far as the splines and then slide it back in. It does not have any type of a retainer that needs to be removed.

Back