Torque on installing new brake rotors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque on installing new brake rotors

Franky94

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 4wd
I just purchased a 1994 Ford Explorer 4wd recently and am a first time owner of an Explorer. When driving, I felt a wobble and found a cracked rotor. I replaced both rotors and front pads.

I read plenty of threads on this topic, but the new experience with a local mechanic's shop threw me for a loop:

During the re-tightening stage (when putting the rotor back on), I followed the 'tighten while spinning the rotor for proper seating' step. I then backed off and hand tightened it (with a greasy hand that is). I took the truck in to get a fluid flush and they said my wheels felt loose, and that I probably needed to re-pack the bearings. I told them I had just freshly packed the bearings (a thorough job of about 20 minutes each). They then said I may need to re-tighten the wheel back up. So I went back in and tightened the wheel more. I basically spun it as I tightened it with a ratchet. Once tightening slowed the spin down, I backed off of it until it spun like it did when it was loose. However, when tightening the wheel the second time, it felt as if I tightened the wheel significantly more than the first. I then put the wheel back on. My question is, when tightening the wheel the second time (with the ratchet) and then backing off, did I get it too tight? I realize one of three things might have happened:

1. I didn't really tighten it well the first time.
2. As I tightened the the bearing the second time, the wheel actually moved back onto the spindle as I was tightening, thus when I backed off of it, it was hand tight again.
3. Yes, I tightened it too much.

What do ya'll think?

Also, I greased everything except the inside of the new rotors. Do I need to go back and put a layer of grease in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would say either you didnt really tighten them well the first time, or you got them tightish, and then running it fully seated the bearings and they got loose.

See attached image; found this in the Ford service manual under the automatic hubs section, but should apply to manual hubs too since bearings are the same. Notice it mentions a more detailed bearing seating procedure, an end play specification, and a final specification of maximum torque required to spin the rotor (bearing drag only, without brake caliper installed).

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_07 Jun. 19 21.53.jpg
    ScreenHunter_07 Jun. 19 21.53.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 450

Great! Thanks. I don't have a torque wrench but I imagine it is about time to get one so I can be sure to adequately seat the bearings and tighten the wheel. I have read a lot of posts dancing around the manual's instructions. The sticky on this site about how to change rotors on this truck is the one I followed step by step in the first place. It was a huge help.

Make sure you use two separate torque wrenches for your general car jobs. Note that in the illustration I posted there are specs in ft-lb and also in-lb measurements. In my garage the 1/2" drive very large torque wrench works well for 50-150 ft-lb items, like lug nuts, and a smaller 3/8" drive torque wrench for everything measured in in-lb and under 50 ft-lb. Didn't spend a whole lot on either unit.

Yeah I picked both up yesterday. The in./lb wrench was a bit difficult to use with it being so low and also using that massive 2-3/8 socket. However, I finished the job, thanks to you guys and that other thread in this forum, and it seems to be just fine. I did get a little smell when I put some serious heat into the new brakes for the first time, but I figured it was the rotors and pads hitting a certain temp. because it only happened when I braked for a significantly long time down a 9% grade...

Back