Torsion Twist Mod Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Twist Mod Questions

BLAKCART

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I have read about 110 posts it seems about the torsion twist mod for lifting the front of the explorers. I can't seem to find any info. on how much stiffer the ride is after lifting it about 1 3/4 inches that way. The only thing I have to reference is a 98 chevy 3/4 ton that used torsion bars also. When I raised it 2 inches, it rode horrible and very stiff and rough, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a good 4 wheeler needs. I know that we have limited options for a cheap lift for the explorer and may have to do it anyway, but what can I expect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no lying it will be rougher, and how much depends on how much twist, as you take the softness out to hold the front higher,

I have read about 110 posts it seems about the torsion twist mod for lifting the front of the explorers. I can't seem to find any info. on how much stiffer the ride is after lifting it about 1 3/4 inches that way. The only thing I have to reference is a 98 chevy 3/4 ton that used torsion bars also. When I raised it 2 inches, it rode horrible and very stiff and rough, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a good 4 wheeler needs. I know that we have limited options for a cheap lift for the explorer and may have to do it anyway, but what can I expect.

Cheap, Comfortable, Functional

Pick 2.

If you want more height without ride compromise, do a body lift. This can be done cheap, and doesn't change the ride quality. It also is really purely for looks and serves no other purpose minus allowing slightly increased departure angles.

If you want more height with added suspension travel, do a suspension lift. This will cost you some decent $, but it will ride smoothly, and be far more functional off-road.

If you want more height without spending money, do a Torsion Twist. This is Free, and does give you some added ground clearance, but at the cost of a pretty horrid/bouncy ride.

Pick 2.

If you want more height without ride compromise, do a body lift. This can be done cheap, and doesn't change the ride quality. It also is really purely for looks and serves no other purpose minus allowing slightly increased departure angles.

If you want more height with added suspension travel, do a suspension lift. This will cost you some decent $, but it will ride smoothly, and be far more functional off-road.

If you want more height without spending money, do a Torsion Twist. This is Free, and does give you some added ground clearance, but at the cost of a pretty horrid/bouncy ride.
Thanks for the feedback, that is really what I expected. I just put 31 X 10.50's on a aftermarket 8x7 wheel, and it clears very well like it is. My last time out, I broke a rear shackle and have to replace it anyway. I was going to do the 1.5 lift shackle to replace them, and wanted a small lift on the front to match, but am having limited options. I bought this truck purely to beat the snot out of it on the weekends, and it really does better than I expected. I just wish there was more stuff out there for it. I will post some before and after pics and also how the ride turns out when I get it all on there. Hopeful to have it done by friday. Thanks guys.

Well said. It's like our service guy says- good, fast, and cheap. Pick two. :)

It'll be bouncy- I'm dropping mine back down in the spring, I really don't think the degraded ride is worth the lift it provides. Too many crap roads in MI.

Well said. It's like our service guy says- good, fast, and cheap. Pick two. :)

It'll be bouncy- I'm dropping mine back down in the spring, I really don't think the degraded ride is worth the lift it provides. Too many crap roads in MI.

Yea, Cheap/Fast/Reliable, pick 2, is what I always tell friends who are car shopping. Same general rule seems to reply to all things automotive.

I did the ttorsion twist and had a pretty rough ride. i upgrade my front shocks to the rancho rs5000's. it made a huge difference. i also put on the rear lift shackels and was happy. I then wanted to beef up the rear shocks, so i picked up a set of the monroe self load adjusting shocks at napa. they made a huge difference. i pull a 18 foot bayliner boat in the summer and since i put those shocks in they made a hugee difference. my rear end only drops about a quarter inch at most. those monroe shocks are great because they have a compressed length of 15 inch roughly and an extended length of 25 inches approx. next comes the body lift and 33's along with a rear locker. good luck :thumbsup:

Back