• Register Today It's free!

torsion twist trouble

pete99ex

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
yesterday i tried to do a torsion twist but i maxed out the bolt and didnt get ANY LIFT what can i do i know that you can get longer bolts and new torsion bars but mine were rated B and i thought that b was the best and most likely to get the full 2 inches. i put the shackles in the back so no my rear is lifted but my fron isnt so what should i do thanks for any help
pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you bounce the front end up and down afterwards?

no would that make a difference

ABSOLUTLY! also go for a drive (short) with a good bump or two then measure.

well ill measure it again but ive driven it for about 40 miles sinse yesterday and its not noticably higher wouldnt that take care of it

It should, also where are you measuring and did you measure before the twist?

yeah i just picked a spot ob the frame and measured before and after every couple of cranks

Just FYI, 1 bars are stronger than B bars.

How many turns did you manage to get on the t-bar bolts before they bottomed out? I've done several torsion twists, and the bolts usually can go at least 5-10 turns before they bottom out. If you're turning the right bolts and you got more than 5 turns out of them, the front will rise.

Not trying to be an ass, but are you sure you turned the correct bolts?

well my brother was actually the one turning the bolts and i was measuring but hes done it to his rodeo but he could only turn them about one and a half full turns but im gonna go under there and try it again when i get the chance and maybe turn them back down and try it again. i havent tried the passenger side yet since i could get any out of the driver side

whats the height of the fenders my stock height is 33 inches maby the previos owner(if aplicable) did a TT

yeah the front fenders are at 33 and the back are at 35 because of the shackles

Did you jack the front of the truck off the ground when you were cranking the T/B Ajuster bolts?
I.E
Jack the truck up with a trolley jack so both front wheel’s are hanging at full drop then climb under the truck and crank the bolts around 5 times, drop it down and measure, then repeat if you need more. You measure from the centre of the HUB to the bottom of the guard.

most people said in the other tt thread that the tt should be done with the truck on the ground

Yes you could do it on the ground, but then you are trying to lift the weight of the truck up with the T/Bar’s and I would say this is why you are having trouble going more than 1½ turns.

With the front suspension hanging free there is no weight on the T/Bar’s so you can adjust the bolt’s with ease and when you lower the truck back onto the ground the bar’s will sit at there new adjusted level, then you just bounce on the front a bit to settle them and measure. This is how Suspension shops do it.

Also I found it easier to measure from the fender to the edge of the rim.

It will not be difficult either way.

You must adjust BOTH bolts. Otherwise the truck will try to lean to one side, which will be resisted by the front anti-sway bar.

Adjusting it with the wheels in the air versus on the ground will make no significant difference. But you must take it for a short drive to give it a chance to find it's new natural position. A turn and a half on both adjusters will get you an inch at best.

-Joe

just this weekend i crankced mine up a little more.. about 2 more inches.. the drivers side bolt maxed out luckly i have 4 extra extra long bolts i just put one in and the fended height went from 37 3/4 to just about 40 inches.. i think i turned one of the bolts about 9 turns.. total..

yeah i think on wednesday im gonna give it another shot maybe jack the front up like aussie said but i havent tried anything on the passenger because i saw it as a loose loose situation i could have either been able to lift one side but not the other or had both sides that wouldnt lift but if i can crank the passenger side would this make the driver side come up too
pete

You have to do both sides for it to work. As said above, if you do one side and not the other, the stabilizer bars will fight it and you will get minimal change. You do both at the same time, or do neither. The only time you would adjust only one is to level the truck side to side if necessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ill try that on wed and see how it works thanks everyone for your help sorry if this stuff is old and repetitive for yall but my turck looks like a top fuel dragster with its a$$ end up in the air like that
pete

Back