Touch Up Paint Mismatch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Touch Up Paint Mismatch

You seem all bent on solely blaming Ford/Motorcraft for your ebay purchase. Sorry, but YOU are the one that isn't understanding what everyone has been telling you. I'll repeat - Just because it says "Motorcraft" on the bottle doesn't mean that it's the real deal inside the bottle. There are lots of known scammers on ebay selling knockoff products under the guise of the real thing.
Whatever the case, Good Luck trying to find your perfect touchup paint

I guess you overlooked that I mentioned people have gotten it from a dealership too with same problem, too dark.

There is NO, ZERO, indication that it's not the genuine Motorcraft product. The seller has near 41,000 sales and 99.7% positive reviews. They're legit.
http://stores.ebay.com/oemselectparts/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can back this up. I got a scratch on my driver door, picked up the UJ paint at the dealership and it's wayyyyy to dark. Still trying to find out a solution.

THANK YOU! Yeah that's about what mine looks like too. It's their (certain Ford vehicles, not my Explorer) wheel paint color not the body color.

Did you shake the bottle real well before applying? I imagine those bottles sit around a good bit before they are sold. The pictures look like the metal flake settled down to the bottom of the bottle when the paint was applied. Of course, it's hard to tell by the pictures but that's what it looks like, to me.

I always buy mine at a auto paint place, they will color match it and can make everything from a touch up bottle, spray can or a whole gallon.

Did you shake the bottle real well before applying? I imagine those bottles sit around a good bit before they are sold. The pictures look like the metal flake settled down to the bottom of the bottle when the paint was applied. Of course, it's hard to tell by the pictures but that's what it looks like, to me.
Yes I shook it a few minutes on the first try, then about 3 times as long for the 2nd. Good temperature and humidity, no wind, good wetting and adhesion, and I wasn't in zero gravity and there were no Twilight Zone episodes playing, lol.

I've thought this through for a while now and there's nothing I can find to account for it except what is also suggested by a few paint supplier websites I've seen, that 7205A wheel paint is darker than UJ body paint, yet Motorcraft claims one product does both. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it doesn't even match 7205A, if they just picked a shade in between the two!

Back