• Register Today It's free!

Touch Up Paint

Macnerd

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys, just wanted everyone's opinion on this.

Unfortunately I put a nick in my drivers side door right on the edge, small enough that touch up paint should do the trick and I ordered some through the dealer (The Ex was about 5 weeks old but they didn't offer to help me out with it at all when I told them what happened, I expected this but tried anyway because of other threads I have read online.)

I'm nervous about applying the touch up paint myself because I really would prefer my just about 6 week old car doesn't look like some hack (me) did a touch up job on it, any advice on this is appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blending is key and nerly impossible to do with a touch up pen.
Even with super steady hands, it's very hard to apply the correct amount to be even with the factory paint thickness.

Blending is key and nerly impossible to do with a touch up pen.
Even with super steady hands, it's very hard to apply the correct amount to be even with the factory paint thickness.

It's such a small ding that I feel sort of silly going to the body shop that my dealer owns and asking them for help but at the same time the car is so new I almost feel silly NOT asking them for help. I'd rather a professional do it so at least if it still looks messed up I know it's not my fault.

It's such a small ding that I feel sort of silly going to the body shop that my dealer owns and asking them for help but at the same time the car is so new I almost feel silly NOT asking them for help. I'd rather a professional do it so at least if it still looks messed up I know it's not my fault.

It's not "instant" dry, so you can always try yourself and if it doesn't look good; wipe off.

I did this too b/c the tiny scratch on the edge of the door was down to bare metal.
I taped the area around the scratch otherwise it was so tiny, that I couldn't see it.
I put primer, then paint, no clear, it was too little.
Clean & dry the area with PH neutral mild soap-(baby soap).
Tape it off using weak masking tape,
Have good lighting,
Try practicing first using the brush part of the touch up,
then do it.
(Yes you can wipe it off quickly if not happy and go again)

I put a small nick in my paint on my exp with less than 100 miles on it. I filled the nick to past level using 4 layers of Motorcraft touch up (allowed to dry between layers) and left to dry overnight. I then used 1600 grit wet/dry automotive sandpaper to bring to level (carefully). Hand buffed using a compound paste to remove the small sandpaper scratches. I cleaned with alcohol, then coated the spot with the clear coat that comes with the touch up paint. Not perfect, but the dealer wanted to spray an area to fix the problem and I didn't want that to happen.

.......I'm nervous about applying the touch up paint myself because I really would prefer my just about 6 week old car doesn't look like some hack (me) did a touch up job on it, any advice on this is appreciated.

Thanks!
I had a stone chip on the hood of one of the Highlanders I had. It wasn't a large chip and I tried the touch up paint but wasn't happy with the outcome. Being it was on the driver's side and it was something I would be looking at every time I used the vehicle I made the decision to get the entire hood repainted. Glad I did too.

Peter

I had good experience with DR COLORCHIP in the past. Check them out!

Pick up a couple of artist brushes. They are inexpensive and come in many different sizes. The smaller tip sizes work really well when applying touch up paint on small scratches and paint chips. Much easier to control the amount of paint being applied using an artist brush than the thick flat brush that comes in the touch up paint bottle.

Ended up with the touch up paint from Ford, it comes with a pretty useful pen and brush combo. It went on pretty well, doesn't look perfect but came out way better than I expected. Thanks everyone!

Back