Tow hitch question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow hitch question

NOPSTNS

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
Hi. I just bought an '03 Limited and need help determining what towing package I have. I measured the hitch and it is 1.6" I would have thought it should be 1.25 or 2". It has the 7 pin connector and the door jam has 46 for the code.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm, sounds like you have a class 2? The opening for mine is about 2". I assume you have a V6? I think all V8's came standard with the class 3/tow package.

I think I could be wrong about the class 3 coming standard with the V8. Maybe it has to be 4x4? I used to know this by heart but for some reason I can't remember anymore:( I have a class 3 and the opening is about 2". If yours is less then you must have the class 2. Sorry I am not much help.

Any could get a class II, my v8 does or did. Still have an Axle code of 55.
Axle code 46 ...... 3.73C which is the towing gear. . . it should be a class III, giving you 7,000lbs towing capacity.
Double check on this site there are pictures of Class II and ClassIII's. The Class II look kinda small.

Having a V8 or 4x4 is independent of the towing package. I have an Eddie Bauer V8 4x4 with a 3.55 rear and it came with a class II hitch. I have since upgraded the hitch to a class III that I got from a junkyard and had powdercoated.

To the OP, does your hitch look like this with the 7-pole power connector mounted on the side?

Also, there should be a sticker on the side of hitch receiver opening that tells you the weight rating of the actual hitch receiver (not necessarily the capabilities of the entire package).

1122081526.jpg

I saw a 2004 online with a towing package that looks like this too. The dealer told me it's a Class II, but I've seen other pics of 2004's with a less "robust" looking hitch than this one. So is this pic the upgraded Class III/IV?

We only have one of two options, the sissy option and the macho option:) Macho comes with 3.73 LS. I have the macho option:D

I saw a 2004 online with a towing package that looks like this too. The dealer told me it's a Class II, but I've seen other pics of 2004's with a less "robust" looking hitch than this one. So is this pic the upgraded Class III/IV?

Yes, this is the Class III. The Class II has a smaller (1-1/4") receiver and the 4-pole power connector underneath. If you can see the flip-up door for the 7-pole power, then its class III.

Yea it doesn't matter what engine you have.
You can still have v8 with class 2.

My 04 mountaineer v8 AWD came with class 2.

I went out and bought an aftermarket class 3/4 tow hitch.
It was a relatively easy bolt on...although i had to remove my stock hitch.

I've pulled over 5000lbs loads, the 3.55 gears do alright, but it would be nice to have the 3.73's.....
(although i wouldn't go out of the way to install them unless you got the cash laying around, or plan to tow alot of heavy ****.....)

Since I have been thinking about this more, I think it was just that if you ordered the Class 3 towing package, you automatically get the 3.73LS rear. Otherwise you end up with the 3.55's and the lesser tow package. I don't think you could ever order a class 3 with 3.55's? Now I will sleep better tonight:)

I'm not trying to revive an old thread, but I have a class II hitch, even though I have 4x4 with the 3.73LS. I think it also has to do with engine power as I do not have the V8 which would include the transmission cooler. That being said, I am in search for a class III hitch to replace in the factory location rather than a lowered aftermarket. If anyone happens across one, I would greatly appreciate it as I barely have any departure angle as it is.

James

I have an 2003 Lincoln Aviator. It has the towing package, 3.73 rear end etc. But, it came with a class 2 hitch and 4 pin flat plug. I was junkyarding one day and came across a Mountaineer with a Class 3 and a 7 pin plug. Four bolts, I believe, and off the hitch comes. Also I unpluged the wiring harness. I reversed the procedure and I have a Class 3 and a 7 pin plug. With all the junk yards in Atlanta, you should have no problems doing the same.

Tom

Back