Tow hooks – do i understand correctly? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow hooks – do i understand correctly?

It means that if the engine ain't running you cant pull for a long time or you will cook your transmission. Cant drop the drive shafts on these things. There is a way to wire it so the transfer case disables and you can tow without fluid pumping through the transmission. Ford used to sell a kit but its long gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to clarify - YES, if you are stuck in mud/snow etc, you can be pulled out using proper straps and a hitch mounted shackle or hook. NO - you cannot get flat towed across the country behind a motorhome.

so you need a teliporter to free the truck from mud/snow.... I guess I will not get it stuck until captain kirk comes home.... if you get stuck and need to be towed for miles then you either pull it out with risk of burning something up or please tell me where your secret 4x4 location is hiding.... I would say if you pulled it with an RV at 2 mph for 200 miles nothing would go wrong but nobody is going to accept this beyond boring challenge, they want to drag it at speeds over 70mph.... and that is very bad

Lmao yeah I was going to say I was stuck pretty bad in clay and with 4x4 I couldn't get out even in reverse lmao so a buddy hooked me up and got me out with me in neutral so pretty much as long as the truck runs and you can go into a gear no damage can be done ?

Wait so does this mean if my 08 v6 4x4 gets stuck I can't be towed out ? I had a friend hook me up by the trailer hitch and he pulled me out with me in neutral

Not having tow hooks just means there's fewer locations on your vehicle to hook to in the instance that you get stuck. front tow hooks are always nice to have, but especially if you're wheeling out on a trail. you want as many options as possible. its sometimes difficult to get pulled backwards on a trail obstacle. Me personally, I would want to be pulled over the obstacle so as to not get stuck again. Unless of course its impassable and you can get turned around on the trail. As for getting pulled out from the receiver, that is a perfectly acceptable location since it is attached to the frame.

20220212_130811.jpg

Curt front receiver based tow hooks

front hitch receiver frame- "Curt " for Explorer (2006-2010 ).cut the hitch square profile if you dont need it.
tow eyes: Ares universal tow eye (for Jeeps).you can take any suitable towing eyes.
tow eye bolts and nuts: Dorman M12 grade 10.9 (tacoma control arms fasteners)

Back