• Register Today It's free!

Tow limit??

Campoli

Reaction score
City, State
Dingmans Ferry PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
So I'm buying a 18' boat this week an the X don't have a tow package I just wired up a plug for trailer lights and changed my trans filter and have new shocks all the way around but will my bumper hold up to the weight of the trailer??
I know it's rated for like 3,500 lbs but lets get real it 13 years old so my question is has anyone towed large trailers with out the tow package ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would feel more comfortable spending a few hundred on a real hitch. Also a transmission cooler would be a good idea

I am going to get a real hitch just need to pick this boat up ASAP and just spent a good $ on it so just to take it to the house it's only a 45 min drive and yes a trans cooler is one of my next upgrades but I'm restoring this boat now lol

Is it an aluminum bass boat or a fiberglass one or a small bow rider? Basically, what's the weight of it? You also shouldn't go more than 300lbs tongue weight which is the real limiter for the bumper pull.

Trans temp gauge as well would be good..but for your bumper I would put more than a couple hundred pounds on it... Tongue weight.. My bumper is so rusty I would not tow anything with mine..

It's an 18' fiberglass inboard outboard w a 302 it's a big one lol

Trans temp gauge as well would be good..but for your bumper I would put more than a couple hundred pounds on it... Tongue weight.. My bumper is so rusty I would not tow anything with mine..

Mines solid brackets look it too in just afraid it's gonna bend down ugh I guess I'll have to go get my silverado from my inlaws house an extra 21/2 hrs out the way

Sounds like our Chaparral. I wouldn't tow that thing with the bumper. Granted ours weighs another 1 or 2k pounds more but my truck did not like the tongue weight and that was with a frame mounted hitch. I highly suggest monroe max air adjustable shocks for the future if you plan on towing it. They connect to a regular tire stem valve that you can mount pretty much anywhere and adjust the pressure. They made my truck sit level with 6k pounds and somewhere around 400-600lbs tongue weight. Good luck with it!

I have sensa Trac load adjusters in the rear the X is only the 4.0 so my silverado will be soonest of the heavy pulling just don't want to go 21/2 hrs out the way to go get it guess ill be having to tho and frame hitch before the X hooks up

go "test drive" a new silverado lol..

Lmao I've thought about it alls I have to say is let me tow my boat lmao

Lol throw the old "i gotta see if it will tow my boat well"

Ok so seriously am thinking of hookin it up to the X tonight screw the bumper I'm gonna buy the one the dude makes on this forum w the tire mount and hitch built in so if it bends it bends but will my 4.0 handle it and trans w no cooler it's about a 50 min drive so more like 2 hrs just creepin should I chance it???!!!

Keep overdrive off and a ton of following distance. I hope it works man. The 4.0 will pull it. I had to tow mine at ~6500lbs for 2 hrs/75 miles. I have the tranny cooler though.

Oh yea def od off I just serviced my trans so that should help its all country roads 35-40 mph should be good don't ya think
And I just put ebc pads on a week ago

As long as it's not too bumpy for the bumpers sake or too hilly for the drivetrain you should be ok. You'll probably be in 2nd and 3rd a lot and get wonderful gas mileage lol. I don't like towing too much weight but I can understand having the need to get it home.

Yea it's a steal of a price and my truck is just too far to go get I mean how bad could it be for the bumper just bend it right? I don't see it ripping off
I've always used a pick up to tow I have used my old 2000 grand Cherokee to tow a car on a flat uhaul trailer before and it did fine

And really I should know once I hitch it if the bumper can handle it at least I would think so

Well the old X she towed the boat like a champ the load adjuster shock did what I expected and the bumper Is still sittin pretty every day this truck impresses me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear!

Back