Tow package? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow package?

Explorer0204 -

When you say "because the v8 wasn't much more powerful ", do you mean the 4.6 is not much better than 4.0 ?
I am not sure but 292hp looks and feels better than 210. Same with torque (what you need for towing): 315 vs 254

I would say there is a difference.

OK..sorry. I see " in the third gen".
But it was still better with I believe 240hp

Absolutely better. I'm just saying from a stress perspective it is similar..
Regardless I wouldn't go around pulling above what ford rates any vehicle with the engine it has with any frequency. I was merely stating an extreme in hopes to give the op another point of view for what it was worth...

And believe me, I would friggin kill for 292/315 in my ex! That is one hell of an engine for an explorer and I'm sure it handles 7k pounds alot better than the third Gen v8s did because of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to correct my numbers I provided before. I just looked at my door sticker.

My GVW is 6280
Payload 1177

That puts my truck empty at about 5103 which is about what the Brakeman AWD Mounty is.

That also means that my towing capacity is at about 6900 in ideal conditions.

I need to correct my numbers I provided before. I just looked at my door sticker.

My GVW is 6280
Payload 1177

That puts my truck empty at about 5103 which is about what the Brakeman AWD Mounty is.

That also means that my towing capacity is at about 6900 in ideal conditions.

I want me a v8!!!!!

I have heard and read here that during normal unloaded driving, the 4.0 and 4.6 perform closely, and the MPG difference is negligible. In 90% of time the 4.0 is more than enough for most people. For some people, like me and others, V8 has the advantage, and the difference in power (hp/tq) comes visible while towing, or merging in the traffic while towing or empty. I can't speak to 4.0 as I have never driven one. I had 99 Mounty AWD 5.0 and it had a nice pick up on the highway or towing.
The 4.6 3v in mine surprises me quite often despite 174k miles on it. When I step on the gas, it just takes off like a sport car. Whenever my wife needs to take it, she is on the verge of getting a ticket all the time since she does not even notice when she gets to 80 and above and does not feel it. She drives an 07 Tribeca with flat H6 3.0, and it does not even come close in acceleration to me Exp. Otherwise the Subaru has much more comfy and refined ride. Explorer is just a truck.

...deleted, I didn't see the additional posts on 2nd page.

I must agree with Explorer PL. Please find a local scale and measure esch axles weight individually. I pull a single axle 1999 trail lite hybrid camper with my 2006 explorer without tow package but with add on 2 inch reciever. Camper supposedly weighs 2,100 lbs empty with a max rated weight of 2,800 lbs. Knowing that my wife likes to pack for a long weekend as if we might be gone for the month, I decided to stop at the local auto junkyard to weigh truck fully loaded as we headed to campground. Front axle was 2,100 lbs Rear axle 4,220 lbs Trailer axle 3,230 lbs!
After a heated argument, I agreed to proceed to campground being it was only 40 miles away at reduced speed after she promised to pack lough yet in the future.
You are usually heavier than u think!!!

Back