• Register Today It's free!

Tow package?

bryris

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I have an 06 EB 4.0L. The hitch is the class 3/4 and the gearing is 3.73. Is that a tow package? How about tranny cooling?

Going to be towing right at the max load for a while and am going to be ever so gentle on the gas pedal, but want to make sure the infrastructure is there to safely handle the max book numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you check the hitch box size again ? It's either 1 1/4 or 2" -
Class II or III.

That gives you either 5000 or 5500 towing capacity, somebody will confirm I hope.

I see

5210 for 4x4, 5390 for 4x2

And then of course less the weight of cargo and passengers in the truck itself.

Precisely.

I see

5210 for 4x4, 5390 for 4x2

And then of course less the weight of cargo and passengers in the truck itself.

Do you happen to know about what the gross weight of a fully loaded explorer with 4 passengers and a full tank of gas would weigh ? and add 200 or so lbs. of cargo. So a GCWR of 10,000 lbs. minus the vehicle weight would give you the maximum weight of your trailer ? The max trailer weight would probably be quite a bit less then 5210 or 5390 ?

What about tongue weight. With my weight dist hitch, I'm limited to 740. My double axle camper is about 5,000 camp ready. I have no idea what toungue weight is on it. Stability isnt an issue on the road. But with propane tanks, battery, the weight hitch itself, and the tongue weight, could I possibly be over? What are the chances? Could the chassis mounted and welded factory hitch come loose or just more likely stability problems?

Bryris-

My payload is about 1177 lbs according to my door sticker.
With 5000 lbs trailer, the tongue weight should be between 500-750 lbs. That would leave you just few hundred pounds for passengers and cargo (driver is already included in the rating). You should really load up the trailer and go to a scale and get the numbers for each axle, and then weigh the truck by itself. That will answer lots of questions.

2008Explorer -
The GVW of my 2006 4wd, v8 EB is I believe 5800, payload is 1177, so the truck itself would be about 4600 lbs. Trucks with no third row, and less equipment would be lighter and have higher tow rating.

Do you happen to know about what the gross weight of a fully loaded explorer with 4 passengers and a full tank of gas would weigh ? and add 200 or so lbs. of cargo. So a GCWR of 10,000 lbs. minus the vehicle weight would give you the maximum weight of your trailer ? The max trailer weight would probably be quite a bit less then 5210 or 5390 ?
Close, but not perfect.
10,000 lbs GCVWR minus the empty vehicle weight gives you the amount of weight you can "haul". I define "haul" as the amount of loaded trailer, plus any weight in the vehicle. The amount of loaded trailer is further limited by the MAX trailer weight (which is limited by the structure).
For most trucks, GCVWR = empty truck + MAX trailer weight + driver weight
But that empty truck weight is going to be different depending on vehicle options. And he driver weight will depend on .....you.
So, if you can get an accurate value for any of these 3 items, you may find that you have some excess GCVWR that can be used in the truck (if you are at the MAX trailer weight. In minivans and crossovers, this can be several hundred lbs, because the drivetrain can handle more than the structure (structure-limited). But most trucks are driveline-limited (cooling, etc), because the structure is so strong.
For my heavy-optioned Mounty-V8-AWD-Premier, the door sticker clearly says I'm at 5050 empty (it's a bit of a pig!). So 12,000 - 5050 = 6950. I subtract 550 lbs for my family's weight (allowing for the girls to grow a bit) and I'm at 6400 lbs actual trailer limit. My loaded trailer is about 5300 lbs.

The reality is you are at the limits of the power of your engine...not the capabilities of the truck. So...as long as you are not in a hurry and don't mind working the engine you should be fine. Just make sure to use synthetic oils and make sure your cooling system is 100%

It's no different than a fully loaded tractor trailer that has to pull big hills at 45-50....you just have to be willing to accept that possibly.

From my experience loaded to 7k pounds on my v6 you can hold 55 on most any hill but you cannot accelerate up hill at any significant speed. I hit one big (non highway) hill at 40 and crested it at 45 foot to the floor....which was a bit annoying but still totally drive able and safe.

All this being said I personally would not pull a camper thats more than 4k pounds loaded with my Explorer. No scientific or safety reasons for my opinion...its just what I would personally feel comfortable with and enjoy driving.

Lastly I should add that I have 3.55's not 3.73's so my opinion on all this is going to be about 10% more negative so to speak as that is about the difference those gear sets make..

Wow. In your other thread, you said 5%.
Whatever...

Everybody feels different what is the safe limit or not.
I have v8 wit the tow package, and the most I towed was probably 5-6k, and I think that is the most I would do.
7k with v6 and 3.55 sounds a lot. Driving flat is one thing, breaking should not be an issue if you have breaks on the trailer. My issues are when you are stopped uphill with that 6k behind you, put the lever in 1st gear, and I can still almost feel the fluid boiling in my tranny if I press the gas.

I have v8 wit the tow package, and the most I towed was probably 5-6k, and I think that is the most I would do.
7k with v6 and 3.55 sounds a lot. Driving flat is one thing, breaking should not be an issue if you have breaks on the trailer. My issues are when you are stopped uphill with that 6k behind you, put the lever in 1st gear, and I can still almost feel the fluid boiling in my tranny if I press the gas.

Transmission stress is almost the same Regardless of the engine.. (in the third gens anyway) because the v8 wasn't much more powerful but was still rated to that.

As for the 3.55s they don't make that much of a difference you might be surprised (mess around with a gearing chart if you don't believe me)
But yes... Definitely not something I will or want to do all the time. Just had to try it to see and glad I did.

Well, I am technically within limits. Itll be me in the empty truck, and a 5,200lb trailer, wife following in car, in flat florida, with trailer brakes, weight dist hitch, OD off, and top speed of 55. I think Ill be ok to do it until Im ready to come off the money for an F150 or something.

Transmission stress is almost the same Regardless of the engine.. (in the third gens anyway) because the v8 wasn't much more powerful but was still rated to that.

As for the 3.55s they don't make that much of a difference you might be surprised (mess around with a gearing chart if you don't believe me)
But yes... Definitely not something I will or want to do all the time. Just had to try it to see and glad I did.

My door sticker only lists my GVWR which is 6185 lbs. Someone said their sticker shows empty weight of vehicle ? I have another sticker with tire size and that shows a max vehicle load of 1199 lbs. for occupants and cargo. My state registration has vehicle gross weight at 4606 lbs. Not sure how accurate that is ? My owners manual shows a GCWR of 10,000 lbs. for my vehicle with a 4.0 engine. I do have the factory tow Pkg. Maximum weight of trailer ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer0204 -

When you say "because the v8 wasn't much more powerful ", do you mean the 4.6 is not much better than 4.0 ?
I am not sure but 292hp looks and feels better than 210. Same with torque (what you need for towing): 315 vs 254

I would say there is a difference.

OK..sorry. I see " in the third gen".
But it was still better with I believe 240hp

Back