towing capacity of a 93 v6 4 door Explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing capacity of a 93 v6 4 door Explorer xlt

Hi all.

There is a really clean 93 Explorer xlt for sale near me, i think its a v6 its a 4 door i am interested, but i need a car that i can drive everyday, but it also must serve as a tow vehicle for a racecar and car trailer. Dose anyone know what the towing capacity is for this vehicle? I would probably be towing in the ballpark of like 4000 lbs (vehicle and trailer) I would really like to get this vehicle if it can fill my needs. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tow rating of Explorers depends on the axle ratio- with the lowest, gears (4.10's) it may be possible. The weakest part of those Explorers is the transmission, a big concern when towing. You can download a manual for that particular year vehicle, there is a thread somewhere on here with a link, it will give capacities based on drivetrain variables.

1st gens are not made for towing heavy loads like that on a regular basis. Can you? Yes, should you, no. Once in a while it won't have a problem however. But be prepared to not go anywhere fast. You just can't pull on the HW at 65-70 easily. Forget about trying to pass on the HW when towing something heavy.
This is from direct experience. I have a 5k LBS load that the X can't tow on the HW for anything. I'm now looking at buying a Bronco or F150 with a V8 to tow it.

There is another person that wants to trade for my present vehicle. Its a 91 xlt four door manual trans, im not sure yet if its a 6 or 8 cyl. he said hes towed vehicles with it in the past no problem. Also my towing would be limited to mabye four times a summer season to the dragstrip and back ( mabye 100 miles round trip) with an aproxx load of 4000 give or take. Would that be cool?

From my 1993 Explorer Owners Guide:

4 Door, 2WD, Manual Trans.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 6,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-1,900 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 7,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-2,900 lb.

4 Door, 4WD, Manual Trans.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 6,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-1,700 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 7,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-2,700 lb.

4 Door, 2WD, Automatic Trans.

3.07 Axle
GCWR - 6,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-1,900 lb.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 7,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-3,400 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 9,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-5,400 lb.

4 Door, 4WD, Automatic Trans.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 7,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-3,200 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 9,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-5,200 lb.

Maximum Frontal Area of Trailer is 50 sq.ft. for all ratings.
*GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

I had a '91 Explorer XLT 5speed 4L. I liked this vehicle better than my '01 Explorer XLS 4L automatic that I drive now. Towing with manual ensures engine won't labor going into a higher gear (I find my '01 shifts a little too early). Also the '91 4x4 had hubs that locked on the outside, while my '01 the hubs are always locked into transfer case causing fuel efficiency to be slightly lower.

Thanks for the reply guys. Sio it looks like id be ok here? even if its a 6 cyl? Like I said the towing would only be on occasion, like a couple of times a year id like to get the 91 with the stick orthe 93 auto

The owner's manual does say the automatics are designed to tow higher weight capacities (as flandry described above). Just when towing heavy don't use the overdrive gear. And be sure the trailer has good brakes....getting going is easy, but stopping can be more difficult.

Well it looks like if anything ill be looking at the 93 4 door xlt, im trying to set something up with the owner to check it out. Its an auto with like 150k but clean as a whistle inside and out. according to the chart you guys posted even with the lowest rating id be in the 6k capacity, so it looks good for my occasional 4k load. What do ya think?

My '92 XLT tows my 13 ft fiberglass trailer. The trailer gross weight is 2,000 pounds, loaded for a big trip (unloaded the trailer weighs just under a thousand pounds). The 4L auto trany has an auxiliary cooler and towed that trailer beautifully.

We did 5,296 miles in 15 days out to the Rockies, with no pulling problems. None. Five weeks after getting back home, with 129,400 miles on the vehicle, the trans died. I do not think this happened because of the trip. By the way, I bought the '92 the previous year with 116,000 miles on it.

If I could figure out how to submit a picture I would glady do so.:eek:

Well the plot thickens. I sold my current vehicle, so I have cash in hand. I came accross what appears to be a clean 1998 v8 exlporer, auto 4wd. I told the guy if its as clean and mechanically sound as he stated (looks good from the pics) that I will buy it on the spot. I wanted to get it last night but i couldnt get a ride. Its saturday today and im working, so assuming he dosnot sell it before i can get off work and get over to him i will buy it. I assume the v8 4x4 will more than suit my towing needs. The guy is moving and cant take the vehicle so hes priced it to sell!

Usually before I jump on any "deal of the century" type auto purchases....I pay my mechanic $50 to do a safety, check engine, body, and tranny. Also wouldnt be bad to check VIN# online to see if its been in accident (frame could be bent) or has a lean on vehicle. Paying a few dollars ahead of time has saved me thousands in future headaches.

Well I got the truck. Its a 97 4 door v8 awd, so far so good. Should have it on the road today!:thumbsup:

Back