towing capacity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing capacity

rltarch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Good morning! I have a 1997 XLT with about 135K on it. It has the standard hole in the back bumper for (I assume) a towing ball. Can I attach a ball here and how much can I tow with it? I need to tow a small trailer with canoes on it, and only once or twice...don't want to install a hitch and all that if I can avoid it!

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that's all you are towing, then the bumper will work fine. Anything more than a REALLY small light trailer and you'll do much better with a standard 2" frame mounted receiver hitch.

Oh, wait, you said "canoes". How many canoes are you talking about? If you're talking a stack of 6+ canoes on one of the trailers with the racks, then I might opt for the receiver hitch. I'm not sure the "official" weight limit on the bumper though.

tongue weight is around 450lbs for the bumper. I tow a riding mower, trimmer, leaf blower and fuel on a small utility trailer weekly on the bumper with no issues.

Be careful, too much weight and you will either bend the bumper or loose your trailer with the bumper going down the road (not much fun I bet).

David

Keep in mind that the bumper's capacity will vary from teh vehicle's towing capacity. Vehicle tow ratings are based on the engine, transmission, gear ratio, and body style, and those numbers can be found in your owner's manual.

-Joe

towing

Thanks - I checked the bumper and it does allow for 450lb tongue weight, but also says it can tow 3500lb (!). I'm guessing the trailer weighs 200lb and the canoes (8 total) about 60lb each - for a total towed weight of about 600 to 700lb. I've never done this before so I'm a little concerned...but I don't want to spend $125 on a hitch I'll use once!

I assume the bumper on this vehicle is secured to the frame for just such purposes?

you will be fine with the weight you said.

Just make sure that the weight of the cargo (i.e canoes) is centered over the axle of the trailer and that it is not all to the back causing the trailer to try and lift your ex and not all the weight is on the front of the trailer causing it to possible put that 450lbs on the bumper

Thanks - I checked the bumper and it does allow for 450lb tongue weight, but also says it can tow 3500lb (!). I'm guessing the trailer weighs 200lb and the canoes (8 total) about 60lb each - for a total towed weight of about 600 to 700lb. I've never done this before so I'm a little concerned...but I don't want to spend $125 on a hitch I'll use once!

I assume the bumper on this vehicle is secured to the frame for just such purposes?

As I said before, the bumper is rated for the weights stated on the bumper. However, the vehicle will only be rated based on the engine, trans, gear ratio, driveline (2wd or 4wd) and body configuration (2 door or 4 door). The vehicle may be rated to tow as little as 2300 lbs, or as much as 6000. At any rate, I *suspect* you'll be well within your vehicle's capabilities, just don't be deluded by the numbers stamped on the bumper.

-Joe

Back