• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity HELP!!

JJRJR

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4
Hi all, I just registered, looks like a great forum. I have a 1999 Explorer Sport 4X4 with the SOHC 205HP motor. It does not have a factory tow package, at least it doesn't have a trailer hitch. I am in the process of trying to decide if the truck will safely pull my 2005 Pro-Line 23 Sport. Pro-Line tells me the MAX trailer weight of the boat loaded down with gas, engine, equipment, etc. is 4,200 lbs. I don't know exactly what the trailer weighs, but it's a 2008 Loadmaster Tandem Axel trailer.

Any advice? Will she pull a boat/trailer combo that is likely 5,000 pounds? What is the best weight-distributing hitch I should get? Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks, John.

First thing you need to know is your gear ratio.

Theres a sticker in the drivers door jamb. It will have a heading for "axle" under that there is a code. Find your code in the list below.

Explorer
Door Code/open or limited slip/ratio
41....….…… Open 8.8"…...….. 3.27
42..…..……. Open 8.8".….…... 4.10
43..……..…. Open 8.8"…..…... 3.08
44..………... Open 8.8"….….... 3.73
45..…..……. Open 8.8".….…... 3.55
46..……..…. Open 8.8".…….... 3.73
D1..……..…. L/S 8.8".…...…... 3.27
D2...…..…… L/S 8.8".…...…... 4.10
D4...….……. L/S 8.8".…...…... 3.73
D5..……..…. L/S 8.8".……...... 3.55

After you have that, click HERE, its a thread explaining towing capacities in the "towing with the explorer and ranger based vehicles" forum on this site.

Theres also a search function on the header of this site that would have directed you to the information quickly.
Welcome to the forum

And I think you will see that if you have an automatic transmission,that you are looking for a repair bill towing with it.At the minimum you need a trans cooler and you need to tow out of overdrive.Then you need to start saving for said repair.

The tranny is a real weak spot on these,I have a 94 with the tow package and I won't hook anything to it,different tranny but the same weakness factor.:D

But hey,people do it all the time.

Back