Towing explorer when it's stuck in 4 low! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing explorer when it's stuck in 4 low!

What do you mean "auto"? It's either 2wd, 4hi or 4lo and if the front shaft is still spinning its in either 4hi or 4lo. Ok so there's the long age on the transfercase, move it manually to 2wd and see if it works. The 5 second delay on the rear tires is normal, atleast you have fluid pressure to turn the tires, this is some good news. Try moving the linkage on the trans through each gear with the cable disconnected.

Yes that's right I put it in auto. This isn't a part time transfer case so you have auto, high,and low. I think you are asking me to shift the linkage also but the auto correct must have kicked in anyways they don't have linkage when they are electronic that's what the transfer case shift actuator is for. Maybe you haven't worked one one of these by the sounds of it. On the back of the transfer case I can take that actuator off (which it is and shift it to auto,4 wheel or 4low) I have it in auto and it does what I already discribed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so unless you have the awd transfercase then you have a 2wd-auto (depending on year of Explorer)/4hi/ 4lo. If it's in "auto" which is 2wd than the front driveshaft shouldn't spin at all, your t-case is still stuck in either 4hi or 4lo. You can manually shift the tranfercase by turning the linkage on the t-case without the electric shift motor installed or hooked up. I'm a mechanic and have worked on these trucks and countless other vehicles for over 20 years now so yes I do know what I'm talking about.

Don't get an attitude with the only person that has been trying to help you and hasn't called you a dumbass for dragging a truck stuck in 4lo at 70mph. You could've gotten away with dragging the truck like that had you towed it backwards on the tow dolly with the front driveshaft disconnected but I digress. 20 years of tow truck driving behind my belt has taught me that much.

Here's the fix for the shifter cable... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showpost.php?p=1754518&postcount=6

Ok, so unless you have the awd transfercase then you have a 2wd-auto (depending on year of Explorer)/4hi/ 4lo. If it's in "auto" which is 2wd than the front driveshaft shouldn't spin at all, your t-case is still stuck in either 4hi or 4lo. You can manually shift the tranfercase by turning the linkage on the t-case without the electric shift motor installed or hooked up. I'm a mechanic and have worked on these trucks and countless other vehicles for over 20 years now so yes I do know what I'm talking about.

Don't get an attitude with the only person that has been trying to help you and hasn't called you a dumbass for dragging a truck stuck in 4lo at 70mph. You could've gotten away with dragging the truck like that had you towed it backwards on the tow dolly with the front driveshaft disconnected but I digress. 20 years of tow truck driving behind my belt has taught me that much.

Here's the fix for the shifter cable... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showpost.php?p=1754518&postcount=6[/QUOTE

settle down no one is getting there panties in a bunch it didn't sound like you knew what I was working on. It's a 98 exploder SPORT As far as the shift linkage are u talking about the knob that the transfer case shift solinoid hooks to? If so I have that in the auto or 2 wheel position as u call it.
When I get down bow hunting i will work on it. Untill then if u can come up with anything else that would be appreciated. Thank you :thumbsup:

No matter where I turn that indicator on the transfer case the front drive shaft turns. What do you make of that

I cobbled some parts together along with my compression tester ant took some tranny pressures and I came up with this

P-130@idle
R-215@ idle-230 power brake
N-130@ idle-140 pb
D-145@ idle-150 pb
2nd-115@ idle-130 pb
1st-130@ idle-150 pb
Not sure how accurate it was with the compression tester cobbled together but I think it got the job done.

Maybe you should reread the thread. You've been offered many good suggestions, you've also dismissed quite a few.

Bill

Maybe you should reread the thread. You've been offered many good suggestions, you've also dismissed quite a few.

Bill

Reread my thread! I know what it says and I've posted everything that the guy told me to try. I want to know what trans pressures are. It doesn't need the cable adjusted

I looked at the chart and they seem low. The chart said 282-350 in R @ wot, 228-263 in forward gears. Idle is 138-168 and 80-110 respectively.

I looked at the chart and they seem low. The chart said 282-350 in R @ wot, 228-263 in forward gears. Idle is 138-168 and 80-110 respectively.

Well wonder if I should try to redo it and see if I get different numbers. Is the test port on the drivers side just behind the shift linkage? I think that's where I pluged into

Did you confirm that you burnt up your tranny ?
Did you smell the tranny fluid ?
You did learn that you can`t tow an automatic tranny 4x4 explorer with wheels on the ground , an expensive lesson . The owners manual if you have it states that it must be towed on a flat bed .
You might have saved it if you would have left the engine running and tranny in neutral and alot slower . Or remove the driveline if you put it on a dolly again.
Now if you get everything rebuilt , it will be good and should last a long time.
Good luck with your project

Back