• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

jasperboy

Reaction score
City, State
Wadsworth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
Vehicle in question is a 2003 XLS 4.0 2WD with 3.73LS. Book says towing limit is 5800. If I subtract the weight of the occupents, can I really tow a trailer with the following specs? Unloaded weight 4650 lbs, Axle weight 3870 lbs, Hitch weight 780 lbs. I would of course add a Class III and tranny cooler, but am I missing something? I calculate that with the Ex loaded with people, and the trailer empty, I still have almost 800 lbs for gear. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Math sounds a little funny, but I'll go with that. I know that I have no issues with a 3500 lb bass boat.

If your going to be pulling near the max load, you NEED a trailer brake system. thats what your missing.

Do a search for towing calculators on the internet. I have two different ones that I use to run numbers on things like this. They help you figure out exactly where you sit for weight.

You would be getting really close to your limit. You could probably do it but I doubt it will perform very well. Make sure you are not in excess of the total trailer length recommended by Ford.

Vehicle in question is a 2003 XLS 4.0 2WD with 3.73LS. Book says towing limit is 5800. If I subtract the weight of the occupants, can I really tow a trailer with the following specs? Unloaded weight 4650 lbs, Axle weight 3870 lbs, Hitch weight 780 lbs. I would of course add a Class III and tranny cooler, but am I missing something? I calculate that with the Ex loaded with people, and the trailer empty, I still have almost 800 lbs for gear. Any thoughts?

Simple andwer..

NO

YOU CANNOT TOW, CONTROL AND STOP A TRAILER WITH THAT CAPACITY

That puts you way over your capacity.

Best idea for a trailer that size is to obtain a tow vehicle that can sSAFELY TOW AND CONTROL a trailer IN EXCESS Of 25 % greater than what you are towing.

Any experienced tower, or, any professional tow expert will allow 25% under GVcWR as a comfortable margin for the emergencies that most folks think will never happen to them.

The GVCWR is the FUll combied weight of the vehicle, the contents, the liquids, gas, water, oil trans fluid rear end fluid etc that the book never tells you about. Look harder...

The better option than deducting the carry weight of the trucks is to immediatley add an additonal 200 pounds of liquids. ( fuel-water- oils- grease fluids etc.) Start adding up the stuff and the people weights you intend to carry in the truck, then add in the trailer weight loaded to full capacity. If a boat, add in the stuff and the liquid you plan to carry.

If you do this you are getting close to the actual GWCR that you need to be unber by 25 % if you plan on a margin of safety. Not only for yourself , but more so for the folks within a 1/4 mile of your vehicle while driving.

Get a truck and stop palying near the edge of tow capacity. One day , one problem is you have to have to clear up any doubts.

We see the mistakes every week!!
Play conservative- live a whole lot better..

nuff said.

Aside from the possible safety issues, you are not going to be happy with that setup unless you are going to be towing down hill both ways. Pulling that much weight it will have no power at all and will have a hard time maintaining highway speeds on any sort of incline.

Thanks for the responses.

This would only be a one time pull, my parents have a camper that needs to be moved about 100 flat miles. They had a F-150, but got rid of it and I offered to try, but think we'll look for a better option. I certainly wouldn't consider the Ex to pull anything that large normally. Our boat and tralier are about 3250, and that is all I care to travel with any distance.

Back