• Register Today It's free!

Towing with '96 Explorer 4.0L ???

PDA1

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I destroyed something in my '91 (either trans or rear) after towing too much weight. The car rumbles louder and louder the faster the rear wheels turn. IT IS NOT the drive shaft U joints (or whatever those + sign shaped things are called).

Not wanting that to happen again to the '96 I just got....

What do you men recommend for modification on my '96 to prevent trans, rear and engine damage?

What I'm towing- an ATV (800 pounds)....and, sometimes, 1,000 lbs of firewood. The utility trailer I'm towing supposedly weighs about 1,000 lbs unladen (so it says on the trailer title) but I think it's more like 500 lbs.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of hitch do you have on the X? the bumper is not designed to pull much weight. With a decent hitch system you should be good to about 5000lbs. but I wouldn't stress it. And as always, consult your owners manual first.

think about adding some F-150 leaves in the rear....so you have a bit stiffer rear suspension and it wont sag alot when towing.

What kind of hitch do you have on the X? the bumper is not designed to pull much weight. With a decent hitch system you should be good to about 5000lbs. but I wouldn't stress it. And as always, consult your owners manual first.

My Explorer has a Class 3 hitch on it. Supposedly, after research in the (poorly written) manual I can have a car and trailer combination of about 9,500 lbs. The REAR is something like a 3.73.

I only am concerned about preventing another transmission and differential distruction and nothing else.

I looked at buying a camper that was going to be towed with my 2000XLT the maximum weight with a beefy hitch system was a little less than 6000lbs if memory server me right. That is the maximum weight your vehicle can safely tow without doing damage of some kind.

keep in mind the weight they are pulling needs to be added to the stuff in the cargo area of people you are hauling to get the full weight.

Also, take the Ex out of Overdrive while towing.

if i was planning to tow anything in my explorer i would get a tranny cooler.

taking it out of overdrive while towing (as is specified in the owners manual if I am not mistaken) is to reduce shifting and subsequent wear on the tranny. On some steeper grades and some towing situations the tranny will shift back and forth like there's no tomorrow and it wants to shift to get it out of its system. This is bad for the tranny, taking it out of overdrive will stop this shift situation, and stop the extra wear on the tranny and drivetrain.

if I am incorrect on the above someone correct me, I am not a professional by any means, just a man who tinkers with his Ex a lot.

David

As far as the rear end or tranny you should probably post a message on the Modified explorer section of this site. Those guys do mods for various reasons, while we here keep em' fairly stock.

Thus the name "Stock 1955-2001 Explorer" forum.

hmm 9000 pounds including the truck so say 6000 in a 4.0 ex?? don't count on it my friend has a v8 xlt to tow his 24 foot boat with (no gas weighs somewhere around 5000 lbs) and he barely can do it, he's actually buying a diesel to tow that baby with. I would say realistically in the 4.0 maybe 4000 pounds probly closer to 3500.

trans cooler, make sure all brakes are in good condition, i heard coolant flush and t-stat, that sounds like a good idea, maybe synthetic fluids too. i looked in my manual and it says a 4.0 4x4 4door auto with 3.73 can pull 5000lb trailer. it says that my 4.0 4x4 4door manual with 3.55 can only pull 2100lb trailer. i pulled a 2500lb trailer and had NO problem what so ever, little harder goin up hills, and my brakes are bad, so like usual used tranny to stop. if your set up right u could go over 5k i coulw say. lol same day my buddy had almost 4k trailer on his little 2.9 ranger hahaha. o maybe upgrade the brakes with some powerslots and high performance pads wouldnt be bad idea. check local laws - in PA trailer with GVRW over 2k needs trailer brakes, so you will need to get a brake controller hook up in your truck, good luck

when u do tow take O/D OFF, more power and you will get engine braking, use 2nd and 1st as needed also fo starting out, and up and down hills, and stopping

Do I dare say that your '91 and the failure/noise were not related to towing? An ATV plus a small trailer should be nothing on an X.

I moved across country 3 years ago with a 97 sport. I towed a 6 X 12 enclosed Uhaul, loaded with my whole life. It was a heavy load. So heavy that it bent the receiver on the X, but it towed like a champ!!!!

I'd add a tranny cooler, beef up the back end a little (I bought some $50 shocks with coils on them from Mydas). The F-150 springs are a good idea, but a lot of work.

That's just my two cents.

Now I have a 1997 5.0, I'd tow almost anything (Except that Uhaul wont rent to Explorers anymore.....losers!!!!!!!!!!)

o ya forgot about suspension: if its gonna be heavy trailer get some add-a-leafs and/or coil over springs, my moms has that it rides rough (we didnt tow with it, atleast heavy stuff but last owners people did)

Back