Towing with a '99 Explorer XLT in '10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a '99 Explorer XLT in '10

Hello--

Newbie here, 1st post, longtime admirer of this site.

I have a '99 Explorer XLT without a trailer hitch (or any other components of the towing package as far as I know). It has 95,000 miles.

I am thinking about getting a trailer hitch installed and using it to tow a Coleman pop-up camper (2500 lbs) to our camp in Maine. The route involves some hilly terrain as I have to cross parts of the Green and White mountains in Vermont and NH, resp. In the past, we have used my wife's car, Dodge Caravan, and have had no real problems, although it has labored recently.

Question: Given it has never towed before, it's age and mileage, is it reasonable to do this ? Or, am I asking for it's quicker demise ?

Also: If I do install the hitch, do I go ahead and install the other components of a towing package, i.e., transmission cooler, etc.

Thanks and standing by.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming this is a v6? If so, I'd definitely add the tranny cooler. The transmission is already the weak link in your drivetrain.

Yep, V6.

What do you think ? Is it advisable to tow with an older XLT that has never towed before ? Or is it a non-issue with the tranny cooler ?

You shouldn't have any problem. Your 99 isn't that old. And if a minivan could do it, your ex should do it with ease. A tranny cooler isn't a bad idea, but other than that all you should need is a hitch.

Wtihout a towing package, you have at the most 3500 lbs tow rating. For the Explorer (like most pickups and truck-based SUV's) you only get that 3500 lbs when there is nothing but the driver in the truck. So you need to remember that the 3500 lbs is for the LOADED trailer, PLUS any passengers and cargo you put in the truck.

If 2500 lbs is your loaded weight for the camper, then you should be fine as long as you take it easy on those mountain paths.

But if 2500 lbs is your empty/dry weight for the Coleman, use caution. Loaded weights for popups are typically 600-800 lbs over dry weight. Remember dry weight does not include battery, propane tanks, or any non-standard options not from the factory. So the 600-800 lbs isn't just your gear. It's anything that the factory didn't install. We just bought the Mounty, but have been towing our 3000 lbs Mesa with Chrysler minivans (properly equipped). But that was on fairly level pavement in Michigan, Ohio area. Your V6 Explorer has no more engine output than your minivan, and probably weighs more. On level ground, no problem. Pulling thru the hill? I'd be concerned (if the 2500 lbs is the dry weight).

I know a lot about Coleman/Fleetwood popups. What year and model are you looking at?

Back