• Register Today It's free!

Towing with the Ex

rdm190

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie
Hey guys, this has been a great forum of informaiton for me but this is my first post!

Let me start off with what I have: 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC Auto. I have done all the proper maintence for the mileage (~60,000) along with adding a remote trans filter and swaped in Mobil 1 fully synthetic trans fluid.

My father in law and I bought a 1995 Dodge 2500 Cummings that does the VAST majority of the heavy lifting for us. My question is, is my Ex up to some of the tasks if the Dodge is either broken (happens alot, it has 450,000 miles on it) or not available (we share it)

Anyway my Ex has a class IV draw-tite frame mounted hitch that I added to tow my waves runners and small stuff. The Ex has no problems with the small stuff. I know the class IV was overkill for this but keep reading ;)

My question is about out boat. It is a 24' Wellcraft Aftcabin and is no light weight. The boat is ~4500lbs and I am guessing the trailer weighs in somewhere between 1000 and 1500 lbs. So to be safe lets say I would be towing 6000lbs. The boat only goes about 10 miles, on staight flat road, to the river.

My question is can my Ex, with its current setup, handle this load? I would be using a class IV weight distribuiting hitch. My draw tite is rated to 7500lbs with a distributing hitch.

Please take into consideration that the Dodge does this job most of the time, but I would like to use the Ex as a back up.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 Explorer and tow a 18' Searay at 2800 lbs almost evey weekend without too much trouble but the engine/trans/brakes are definitely working. There is no way I would tow anything over 20' - you may be ok on a straight level road, but getting it out at the ramp and stopping will be a problem.

I am to towing expert but you are either at or over the maximum towing capabilities of the Ex. Maybe Aldive will chime-in, he tows a jeep on a big trailer with his Ex without any problems.

David

i think it would be ok every once in while to tow. You will definately not set any speed records, but as stated earlier be very careful when backing in or pulling out. I tow a 18' fiberglass bass boat every weekend usually about 2-3 hours one way and mine does ok, and it definately works my exp. hard, but i havent had any major problems with it yet. Def. go in 4x4 when pulling out, and it might work.

i think it would be ok every once in while to tow. You will definately not set any speed records, but as stated earlier be very careful when backing in or pulling out. I tow a 18' fiberglass bass boat every weekend usually about 2-3 hours one way and mine does ok, and it definately works my exp. hard, but i havent had any major problems with it yet. Def. go in 4x4 when pulling out, and it might work.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I should only use the Ex for this job if I am really stuck. Don't worry it would be going to 4x4 low to get this boat out of the water!!

Back