• Register Today It's free!

Towing

nomad

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Navajo
Hi all. I will soon be towing a 5'x12' U-haul trailer from denver to los angeles. This is a one time thing. I have a 92 Navajo with a towing package. I have several questions.

What exactly does 'towing package' mean and include?

Should i get a tranny cooler?

Will I need to get a frame mounted hitch?

Will I be OK without four wheel drive? (hopefully this will be fixed by then but just in case)

Anything else i should know or I should do to my truck before towing? I have never towed before.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search on towing and you will find all the answers to your questions.

aw come on, thats no fun, then what will all the explorer heads do with no threads to answer to.

j/k i already did that but i am strapped for time at my work (and only) cpu. i will try to do that later, but if anyone wants to help a lost soul out please respond.

thanks and sorry.

Yes, you should have a tranny cooler to help your tranny out; should have a factory one. You don't need a frame mounted hitch, the bumper will do fine for a one time thing. Just take it easy and don't subject the ball to hard 'jerks'. Also, keep the truck out of OD, and maybe put it in 2nd in the mountains. Good luck!

Just take it easy and don't subject the ball to hard 'jerks
this could cause long term hootus damage:D

i have the "tow package" and that meant i had 3.73 gears, tranny cooler and l/s rear end. but i know that some guys have the "tow package" without any of those options. your bumper will be fine and unless your hauling your taler off road you wont need 4x4

You should also have HD cooling too that's what I have on mine. It's a thick 2 row radiator. Good luck on your trip.

gearlo

I have a question about towing!

i don't have a towing package and i need to tow my ATV from time to time and i have a hidden hitch. is there anything else i will need? maybe a tranny cooler? how much those cost or do i take it to the shop to get put it?

thanks, Davo

A tranny cooler is a must for regular and long distance towing IMO; and it will help your tranny last longer even in normal driving. Decent ones are $40-50 at Pepboys, and installation is fairly simple if you have the time. You just gotta know which hose to connect to at the radiator. I had mine put in for me for a few bucks ($15) by a friend, but I could've easily done it myself.

Sorry didnt know if you knew about the search feature.

I drove an '87 Mustang GT from Denver to SF pulling a 5x8 trailer with no problems. Just watch you gas consumption. It will be measley and you might find yourself out in the middle of nowhere with not enough gas to get anywhere. Been there, done that.

yes i'm know about the search feature but whe ya do that ya get 100 post to read and thats anoyying. i liek to just ask and get and answer and not read forever.

ok i'll get a tranny cooler in there. is there and size i need or whats the part i need if ya know. if ya don't know do i go in and ask for a tranny cooler for a 95 ford explore and they'll give me the correct part?

I went to Pepboys and they had 4 sizes. I got the 2nd largest one and it works great.

ok thanks

Back