TPMS Issue - 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Issue - 2016 Explorer

fischmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a brand new 2016 explorer xlt. On my tpms, one of the tires (right rear in this case) consistently reads 4 to 5 pounds higher then the other three tires, which a show the same value. I've manually checked the tire pressure and all four are the same.

Have had the car into the dealer twice for this issue and the result is the same- they say no issue with the tpms. Today when they told me that I asked them to explain how they can see no problem when one tire is always showing 4-5 pounds higher regardless of whether it's a cold start of the car or the car has been running.

The answer they gave is that the computer allows for tolerances in the pressure readings from the tire before reporting an issue. Unfortunately doesn't address my question of why one sensor reads consistently higher. They said the diagnostic shows that the sensor is working correctly and reporting pressure to the computer therefore there is no problem

Has anyone seen similar issues? To me, the fact that one is always higher seems to indicate that sensor may be malfunctioning in the sense it may have a calibration issue that the service departments diagnostics don't pickup because they're only testing for signals from the sensor to the computer not the accuracy of those signals.

They refuse to make any repair because the computer isn't reporting a trouble code.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or similar situation!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So they happen to be right in this case - but they didn't explain it for squat.

As you probably guessed your tire sensors are just pressure gages inside the tire. They use a moving magnet to recharge their circuits and some use a super cap others use a small LI-PO battery.

Basically as you drive the sensor charges itself. It needs that power to do 2 things - work the electronic sensor which is based on Voltage - and Transmit on a frequency a digital pattern that the car picks up to determine which sensor and what pressure.

So that pressure bit - without getting too deep into details the circuit has a set voltage reference (let's say it maintains 5V) on one side and then it has a variable on the other side. the variable is moving based on pressure on a piece of tin. as it flexes the resistance changes, etc - voltage shifts away from 5V - calibrated to set point it will show near 0 when the tire is dead empty, shows 5V when it's out past say 50 psi.

The sensor is calibrated to the max ranges determines for the car. SO if the tires are to max out at say 45psi - then the sensor goes just beyond that. Incidental.

There is a recalibration technique that does 2 things. One - causes the car to re-address which sensor is in which tire, they are coded via a serial number - so the car knows sensor _________ is the Right Rear. etc etc. but the technique also causes the sensor to report a range of pressure - and can reset it's thresholds.

So what they should do - is use the calibration procedure as spelled out in the manual - this makes the computer relearn the sensors. Then see if all of them report out the last PSI value the tech put in the tires. It might fix the one sensor.

The procedure, IIRC, is to put the car in learn mode. Then drop the Front LH tire 4-10 psi - then re inflate to placard level. the horn should honk. Move to the front RH - repeat, honk. Right Rear, . . . . . .

after the last tire - the car is recalibrated. I think the horn honks 3 times or some such.

If that doesn't work - the sensor is reads wrong and probably won't reset. Being 4psi high is might be within the accuracy bounds for the tire sensors. I'm not sure where you'd look that up.

I have a 2016 Base Explorer. Drivers front tire pressure sensor just started reading 20 lbs when it actually has 36 lbs in the tire. I have tried the retraining procedure where you put the vehicle into training mode and then let out some air out of the tire until the horn sounds. The horn would not sound when i tried it. Just wondering if i need to purchase one of the little square programmers or just replace that sensor. All other sensors are showing correct readings. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum KrisI648.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the handy 'Search' feature in the upper right. Not too many issues not already discussed here.
I've never bothered with training procedure myself. I always have the dealer do that when I swap tires. Being off by 16 PSI is quite a bit, unlike the member above. I think it may be the sensor if just started doing this. I'm guessing that you haven't taken it to the dealer to have them look at it.

Peter

I have a 2016 Base Explorer. Drivers front tire pressure sensor just started reading 20 lbs when it actually has 36 lbs in the tire. I have tried the retraining procedure where you put the vehicle into training mode and then let out some air out of the tire until the horn sounds. The horn would not sound when i tried it. Just wondering if i need to purchase one of the little square programmers or just replace that sensor. All other sensors are showing correct readings. Thanks!

if you are still under warranty - it should be covered at the dealer. Otherwise before you buy something see if a reputable tire store in your area will check it for free with theirs. or check out Autozone or O Riely for renting one.

Yes, i had a similar experience during regular oil change. One of the tires keeps showing 29 lbs but its actually is 36 lbs. Dealership told me to rely on manual testing and that it could be 5 or so below, it's normal. Those sensors that Ford uses has a margin of error the dealership told me.

Yes, i had a similar experience during regular oil change. One of the tires keeps showing 29 lbs but its actually is 36 lbs. Dealership told me to rely on manual testing and that it could be 5 or so below, it's normal. Those sensors that Ford uses has a margin of error the dealership told me.
Another member posted the "margin of error" ion this thread as well. That could be the case but there is another issue with this latest problem. The horn doesn't sound like it is supposed to.

Peter

that dealer tech needs to be reschooled. they are not allowed to be more than 4psi off or they are supposed to be replaced. Hence the scanners and hence the warning in the dash.

when the sensor read out of spec - sometimes they can be recalibrated. If they cannot they are supposed to be replaced. They should live on the road some 5-8 years depending on your driving habits.

Or as said before you can just live with the chime and light. I did that for about 4 months on my Daily driver because I didn't want to go have the tire taken off to fix it only to have to replace the tire soon. so I waited it out - annoying as hell but I did.

In case someone is looking to retrain the sensors this is from another thread where I explained how to get the vehicle in re-learn mode...in my case I was rotating the tires. This was on a 2016 XLT, I borrowed it off a guy that used it on a 2011 Ford Escape so I think it applies to most Fords.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...g-tool-for-2016-explorer.452355/#post-3572438

Ok so how did I do it. First I tried the on/off method to get it into re-learn mode , press the brakes , turn it on/off 3 times etc..etc.. That method is a pain in the a$$, I did get it into re-learn mode that way but you have to be very good at the sequence. I found you could also get it into re-learn mode by turning the accessories on(press the on button without pressing the brakes to start the engine) and then turning the hazard lights on and off 3 times. When you have done that the horn honks and the re-learn mode shows up on the dash. Much simpler way to activate the re-learn mode with the hazard lights.

Make sure you have the keys in the vehicle and leave them in it when you move from tire to tire re-learning the pressure sensors. The car will see the keys leave if you have them in your pocket and start honking at you.

Once you are in re-learn mode it well tell you to start at the front left tire, let the air out and when it sees that happening the car will honk the horn, then indicate for you to move to the right front tire, let the air out, it honks , move on to the next tire that is indicated on the dashboard display. When you complete the last tire , get the honk then you can just press the dash button to turn the vehicle off and the re-learn is complete. As I mentioned it only took about 7-8 lbs of a pressure decrease for it to recognize the sensor on that tire.

nice find

I prefer a much easier way. I have the dealer do it when I have the wheels (OEM/Winter) swapped. Takes about 5 seconds per wheel. I just sit back and watch while drinking their free coffee.:D

Peter

I spend the winter in Florida so never put on winter tires, it's sorta easier as well, means I gotta rotate my own tires though.

After decades of dealing with car dealers I try to minimize my contact with them, much prefer doing things myself, less chance something goes wrong, less chance they damage/scratch/ding my vehicle. Can't count how many times bad things have happened and dealers let me down over the years.

Last time on this Ford I had a tire issue, got a nail in front right on this Explorer last year took it into the dealer, they tried a patch , wouldn't hold air , dropping a lb a day of pressure. One visit, no fix. So they ordered a new one for me, supposed to match the other three. Call me next day to come and get it put on . So I wait 45 minutes, they put the wrong friggin tire on , didn't match the other tires, duhhhh, why would you put a tire on a new vehicle that didn't match? Turns out they ordered the wrong tire in the first place. Two visits , no fix. Now I have to come back a 3rd time when the new tire comes in, wait another 1/2 hour. Third visit it gets fixed. Total time involved probably 3.5 hours of my time wasted, $150 for a new tire on a one yr old vehicle. Frustrating.

Car dealers mostly suck when it comes to good service. Just one more instance in a long line of poor service...

...............Car dealers mostly suck when it comes to good service. Just one more instance in a long line of poor service...
I must a lucky one then. In over 50 years of driving I've never had those experiences. Dealers and private garages have always been great.
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving.

Peter

Back