• Register Today It's free!

TPS - removal

Dolphan

Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
I tried to remove the TPS, but could not budge screws, basically stripped now - is this a special tool and not just a phillips head? Once off can the TPS be cleaned like the MAF. If not - how much do these run and is there a brand preference?

TIAV

i just replaced my tps recently. i striped one of the screws the other came out ok.(sounds like u have a very similar problem) wut i did 2 get around the striped screw was cut off the head w/ a dremel tool then it(tps) slid rite off. i didn't try 2 clean it or anything like that, i just replaced it. the brand i got was Borg-Warner. its what Murray's had in stock. I wouldn't think there is any brand name preference on this part, but u can search for a company that u trust if u'd like. My tps cost $25 dollars. also, since you'll need 2 replace the screws u can just get them from any auto parts store, they'll probably be slightly shorter or that may have just been the ones i got. if u want 2 know anything else on the tps i'll probably be able 2 help.

Grant

Hey thats easy! Get a good pair of pliers and since the screws aren't counter sunk at all (I just did this on my 91) grip tightely on head of screw with pliers and remove. Also, replace the screws!

Back