• Register Today It's free!

Trac-lok vs. Aussie?

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I have a 97 8.8 in my 94 Ex with an open carrier, I have an EZ locker installed and it slips all the time and Eaton will not do anything to help me.

I have a Trac lok carrier I an rebuild and install, but I am worried about changing the carrier and not having the proper experience to make sure it is shimmed correctly. Also will the trac lok hold up off road?

The alternative is to buy an Aussie.

Help making this decision is much appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the Lock Right and have had good luck with them. I currently have the No Spin version in the LS rear of my 94. Back in the 80's when I was starting out wheelin there was an article in a 4wd magazine. They took the then available traction aiding differentials and tested them. One of the test was to jack up one sideso the wheel was off the ground and then try to drive the truck off the one jack stand. The Detroit Locker did. The Power Lock and Track Lock did not no matter how much brake they applied. Drivers ed used to teach useing the brake to slow the spinning wheel down in an open diff vehicle and transfer some power to the stationary wheel. The use of the parking brake a few click in an open rear truck used to be called a poor mans locker. The new kid on the block back then was Gleason/Torsen Tru Trac. Things have changed a lot since those days with folks spliting up. The gear biasing G/T Tru Trac would not drive off with out the e-brake. But it would with several clicks of the e-brake. Back then folks Lincoln Locked (welded diffs) as they do to day but that was not in the article that I can remember.

Lots of choices out there to day. But there are still the 4 basic types. 1-The full on locker of a Lincoln Locker welded can be selected with an ARB and others. 2-A racheting locker like Detroit and Lock Right. Those are real lockers and will let you drive off a jack stand. 3-The gear biasing Tru Trac and Torsen will also with a little help from the e-brake. I have not read of the new Torsen with preload to see if it will. Pre load seems have the same results as using the e-brake. 4-Clutch type like the Power Lock or Trac Loc won't pull a truck off the jack stand. Not even with e-brake. They wear out the more you drive them and loose the ability to transfer power to the spinng wheel and eventually become no better than an open differential. The Power Lock has a bolt together case and can be built to hold stronger I have read. Other cone types say they go longer before wearing out.

Those are basic types. They have all kinds of stuff these days and you can read on them if you want. Mostly it is a choice you have to make. Some folks like street manors and can't get along with a locker and love clutch types. Some folks like the ARB with good street manors and the ability to select a full locked axle. Some folks like a Detriot racheting locker all the time with no switches or buttons to push or worries about getting stuck then trying to get the axle "locked" in. Some folks like the middle of the road gear biasing stuff.

If it were me I'd buy a Lock Right. I don't mind a quirks or noise. A friend of mine it drives crazy and he would put it back open and use the e-brake for a poor mans locker. He's good and I need a locker to keep up with him. If it's a daily driver you would need someone who with experience to set it up. The EZ looks like the same as the Lock Right and there is a go/no go measurement. Cases differ and wear as do the side washers. It can be a chore to find side washers and a case combo that will fall in the go range. The same with installing the LS carrier. You'd need an install kit with bearings and some one with the tools to install it properly and the expierence to set it up right. If it is off road only and not going to see hours of highway speed folks could most likely walk you through it.

I have a lock right in my Ranger have never had a problem with it. The aussie is a lot cheaper and seems like the way to go since I wont have to risk messing up the back lash.
Anyone ever have a problem with an aussie slipping or problems getting the clearances right on installation?

I had to put the spider gears back in for now, I will have to save up for the Aussie. Thanks for the input.

I have an Assuie up front and a lock-right in back--- LOVE LOVE LOVE the setup!

Back